Pet Owner Survey - Animal facial recognition - Bachelor's thesis

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
Ireland
Hi everyone. I'm in my final year of college (computing) and gathering requirements and user personas for my thesis project on my proposed animal facial recognition system.

The original idea was actually to apply this same concept specifically to deterring animals from around garden ponds, but I thought it'd be better to expand it into differentiating between individual animals, e.g. dogs or cats since this could be applied to a wider range of areas.

I've written a survey to help with this if anyone has time. Any responses are appreciated. It should only take about 2 minutes to answer, and I'd love to get a bit of input from some ponders. Attached is a mockup of how the mobile app side of this might look.

Here's a link to the survey: https://forms.office.com/e/bNYjkrZr7U - :) Thanks everyone

raid-screens-lg-01.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry after having an account recently hacked i'm not so trusting of the web these days

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
Ireland
Sorry after having an account recently hacked i'm not so trusting of the web these days
I understand. You might find it helpful to use a site like https://urlscan.io in future if you're unsure of a link. Attached is the result of passing my survey link to it. You can try it yourself. You can see the site's IP belongs to Microsoft, as you'd expect. No funny redirects going on .

The form also isn't asking for any personal information (beyond demographic info like your age group and where you're from, but that's not required anyway) so nothing to worry about.

1675341875642.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm in my final year of college (computing) and gathering requirements and user personas for my thesis project on my proposed animal facial recognition system.

The original idea was actually to apply this same concept specifically to deterring animals from around garden ponds, but I thought it'd be better to expand it into differentiating between individual animals, e.g. dogs or cats since this could be applied to a wider range of areas.

I've written a survey to help with this if anyone has time. Any responses are appreciated. It should only take about 2 minutes to answer, and I'd love to get a bit of input from some ponders. Attached is a mockup of how the mobile app side of this might look.

Here's a link to the survey: https://forms.office.com/e/bNYjkrZr7U - :) Thanks everyone

View attachment 155921
You need to make a modification here for US-based responders. I have an Associate of Science degree. "Associate Degree" should be an option just above Bachelor's degree.

What is the highest level of education you've attained?
Primary school
Junior certificate
Leaving certificate
QQI level 5/6 course
Bachelor's degree
Master's degree

I would also add a "Disabled" option to the employment question. "Unemployed" implies seeking work, and not all disabled people who can't work were able to "Retire".
Ph.D or higher
Apprenticeship

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
Ireland
You need to make a modification here for US-based responders. I have an Associate of Science degree. "Associate Degree" should be an option just above Bachelor's degree.

Primary school
Junior certificate
Leaving certificate
QQI level 5/6 course
Bachelor's degree
Master's degree

I would also add a "Disabled" option to the employment question. "Unemployed" implies seeking work, and not all disabled people who can't work were able to "Retire".
Ph.D or higher
Apprenticeship

This is a very good point. Thank you for your response.

I've thought the same thing, but have been hesistant to change the options. Could you offer any personal insight into how the primary/secondary school system (age up to 18/19) works in the US? I've tried looking this up, but thought I might only further confuse things by adding my understanding of it.

For example, here in Ireland, some people (mainly older generation) left school at age 12 or 13 (primary school only), but most people would do 'secondary school' nowadays. I think in the US that would be as far as high school.

Originally, I only sent this to people in Ireland, but realised US responses would be especially helpful, maybe even better, considering how diverse the range of animals affecting peoples' pets might be :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Primary school
Junior certificate
Leaving certificate
QQI level 5/6 course
Bachelor's degree
Master's degree

Ph.D or higher
Apprenticeship
You can take degrees today and use them for toilet paper . Harvard just this week is taking about ages 1 to 4 being able to make up there own minds if they want to be male or female . Hell at 4 I wanted to be a tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could you offer any personal insight into how the primary/secondary school system (age up to 18/19) works in the US?
Here in the US (and I may be showing my age with this), school grades are as follows:

Elementary School - grades 1-5
Middle School - grades 6-8
High School - grades 9-12 (often referred to as freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior, respectively)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
Ireland
Here in the US (and I may be showing my age with this), school grades are as follows:

Elementary School - grades 1-5
Middle School - grades 6-8
High School - grades 9-12 (often referred to as freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior, respectively)

Thank you. I think I've now got the US equivalents for primary school, junior cert, leaving cert, and QQI level 5/6 courses listed, and have added a 'Disabled' option to employment status :)

Ask a Question