Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I lost two of my koi yesterday evening :( because a cat killed them. I even got it on camera but the to make it worse the cats owner was a complete idiot and :asshat::mooning: about it. I told the cats owner who is a "neighbor" of mine that lives about 5 miles from me and she acted like it was no big deal nor did she think she was responsible. Well first off, my koi are a big deal to me and very important. Also by being the cats owner she is 100% responsible for taking care of the cat. Letting it roam around freely is not only stupid (and illegal here) but, it is also putting the animals life in risk as well as in my case other animals in danger also. I bet if I were to punch or kick the cat in the face she would be upset and it would be a big deal. Thankfully I do not believe in abusing animals but I believe in making people own up to their mistakes. This is why I tell people who come to the sanctuary/rescue and adopt a turtle not to release the turtle into the wild before bringing it back to me or to another rescue that has a zero kill policy. I don't mind that she has a pet cat or any pet for that matter but, I do personally think that in order to have one you need to be responsible and keep it inside and on your property only. Not everybody likes animals so letting the cat run free means risking that the cat may encounter the wrong person who would kill it without a second thought and I would blame the person who let it roam just as much or more than the person who killed it.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
My neighbors have came to me and said 'I think our cat is in your trap'. Why yes, yes it is.:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
5 miles is a long way for a cat to wander from home.

That's what I was thinking too......

I don't believe in keeping cats outdoors due to the many dangers they may face, it is a proven fact that outdoor cats live a much shorter life than cats kept indoors. That being said I did at one time have a cat who lived outside (actually indoor/outdoor at his will) I got him when he was a little older and he had already had a taste of being outside and he wasn't having being kept inside all the time. Anyway when he was outside he never ventured very far at all. There was a hose barn on the property behind me (where I kept my horses) and he never even made his way to the barn. Mostly stayed in our yard or the neighbors yard.

So my point being are you sure it was actually your neighbors cat? As for laws about keeping cats contained to your own property I have never heard of such a thing. We do have laws about containing dogs but not cats.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I dont know.. I do feel sorry for your lost.. but I have a cat and I used to let him roam and he would be killing rats and mice for me (got a few gifts in 8 years). He twice in 8 years got in a fight with other neighborhood cat and got minor wound and we just took him to the vet, no other owner confronted me about it. My old neighborhood has many roaming cats. All 8 years we live there i've never heard a complain about them (and my old neighborhood is VERY vocal)

When we moved I was thrilled because my cat would have WOODS! but the road next to the house is a main road and people drive fast on there so we didnt feel safe to let our cat out.. he's been an in house cat since... and he's not very happy about it (and he's now fat....)

BUT, if my cat goes to eat someone's pet... then I'll make sure he wouldnt get to do it again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think Marshall said he got it on camera so that's the proof that it's the neighbor's cat.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have an indoor outdoor cat. He doesn't eat fish though. He does fight with neighbor cats occasionally. I guess I don't have a good answer for you. It isn't illegal here for cat's to roam. I do bring him inside at night because that seems to be when he used to get in the most amount of fights. I would feel responsible if my cat ate your koi though.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have had cats (and Koi) for years and never had an incident of the Koi being injured or killed.
Feral cats, on the other hand, because they have to fend for themselves, are always looking for a meal and there hunter instincts are keenly focused. I suspect that this was a feral cat.Humans are notoriously callous when it comes to disposing of unwanted pets. The usual dumping spots are woodland areas.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
5 miles is a long way for a cat to wander from home.
Most of the time they don't go too far but you would be surprised how far cats and dogs wander around here when they are allowed to. Mainly because they have been "free roaming" their entire life and only go home to eat or when it is cold which is why I blame the owner and not the cat because it is only doing what it has been allowed to do.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have had cats (and Koi) for years and never had an incident of the Koi being injured or killed.
Feral cats, on the other hand, because they have to fend for themselves, are always looking for a meal and there hunter instincts are keenly focused. I suspect that this was a feral cat.Humans are notoriously callous when it comes to disposing of unwanted pets. The usual dumping spots are woodland areas.
These are not your typical run of the mill house cats. They are more wild than tame almost feral to a degree but do have someone who feeds them, gets their shots & collars/tags them so in my opinion they are the reason the cat is here in the area so it is their problem.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I can't say I am surprised by the reaction (by most NOT all) to this post and should have known better than to share something personally important to the public channel but I guess I expected a bit more advice/solutions/help instead of the usual responses I get... Anyways my mistake
PS Thanks @Meyer Jordan for making a good point (about the feral cat) and @peter hillman for making me laugh :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i rarely have good idea or helpful comment ;) I only can share my experiences and I don't know what to do in this situation (on a receiving end) but since I own a cat so I can talk about the cat owner side if my cat did it... I thought about suggesting you put a net over your pond but then thought against it, as I said if the cat's mine i'd try to make it'd not happen again (don't know how to do this but trimming the cat's nail comes to mind as part of the prevention)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
i rarely have good idea or helpful comment ;) I only can share my experiences and I don't know what to do in this situation (on a receiving end) but since I own a cat so I can talk about the cat owner side if my cat did it... I thought about suggesting you put a net over your pond but then thought against it, as I said if the cat's mine i'd try to make it'd not happen again (don't know how to do this but trimming the cat's nail comes to mind as part of the prevention)
Thank you :)

Ask a Question