Wintering Pet turtles near Edmonton Alberta

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I currently live in Victoria BC and am thinking of moving near Edmonton Alberta. I have a very large (as big as a dinner plate) , very spoiled turtle (hand fed things like shrimp) I would like to take with me. She currently lives all year in a large pond in my yard. It doesn't freeze much here so no problem with her in winter. If a move to Alberta where it does freeze, how deep would a pond have to be? Or would I have to bring her in? If so any recommendations on what to put her in as she is too large for a tank or even a kids wading pool? There are also quiet a few gold fish in the pond that will need new homes too as the pond will be demolished by develorers. Be grateful for any advice.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome from a fellow turtle fan. I can’t answer your question (my turtles aren’t aquatic….and I live in the southern US), but there are others here with experienc/knowledge who can help. Do you know what kind of turtle it is? Does it live their in captivity, or is it a visitor? Can you post some pictures?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1636649102013.gif
@Mokey
I don't have turtles but a friend up the road has 5 red eared sliders she brings in every winter and puts them in her spare bathtub w/a bright light attached above. We have similar temps as you do now in Victoria and she is working on making them a permanent place outside where they can live all year long. Up there in Alberta I would think it would be way too cold to leave them outdoors w/o a proper way to hibernate or keep warm. Hope someone else will know more on how to help you.

I just found this online and it may help you to decide: https://www.allturtles.com/turtle-hibernation/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I currently live in Victoria BC and am thinking of moving near Edmonton Alberta. I have a very large (as big as a dinner plate) , very spoiled turtle (hand fed things like shrimp) I would like to take with me. She currently lives all year in a large pond in my yard. It doesn't freeze much here so no problem with her in winter. If a move to Alberta where it does freeze, how deep would a pond have to be? Or would I have to bring her in? If so any recommendations on what to put her in as she is too large for a tank or even a kids wading pool? There are also quiet a few gold fish in the pond that will need new homes too as the pond will be demolished by develorers. Be grateful for any advice.
as long as you provide a bottom layer of mud/loam for the turtle to dig into, AND the depth is below your typical ice depth, AND you insure a hole is kept open in the ice layer, you should be okay. You could put a mason's mortar box or two (the large ones; 2'x4'x8"deep) full of clay soil on your pond bottom to simulate this parameter as turtles will dig themselves into it in the winter and believe it or not, breathe the trapped oxygen--through their butts, no less!

I've lost small turtles overwintering as I didn't provide the above (the substrate) and was advised to just take them in for overwintering, which I've done now for the past 3 years using a 1000 gallon intex pool. Works well and I no longer worry but I will be making the transition when they mature. Probably.

smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

Attachments

• smilie sword twirl.gif
    smilie sword twirl.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome from a fellow turtle fan. I can’t answer your question (my turtles aren’t aquatic….and I live in the southern US), but there are others here with experienc/knowledge who can help. Do you know what kind of turtle it is? Does it live their in captivity, or is it a visitor? Can you post some pictures?
She is a Red eared Slider that I have had over 30 years . Got her from the SPCA. When I got her she was in a tank i had in the house but she kept managing to climb out so we built her a pond . She has been outdoors ever since.Rarely see her in the winter but at the first sign of warmer weather she is out sunning herself. She is currently about 9 inches across her shell.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Mokey! Wow, you have provided her with great care! Is the move this winter or sometime next year? I too keep Red Ear Sliders (most were rescues) and agree with @brokensword and @j.w, you need to be absolutely certain her new home will be adequate. I can share from personal experience that 'senior citizen' RES need special care if they are pets. Keeping them indoors just takes some effort to make sure they have good water quality, a warm basking island and appropriate UVB. Please let us know about your future moving plans.

Ask a Question