Any suggestions for negotiating freeing a sad fish at pet store?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I visited a pet store that had some three giant, really depressed looking goldfish. Each were about 10" long, one either a black moor or maybe black bubble eye. Ithink the others are ryukin. They were crammed in a tiny, very shallow tank, in a dark corner, without enough space to move. They didn't swim, just sat there floating still. I wanted to free them, give them a good home, as I have tons of space, but they are charging more than $50 for each one! Any suggestions for how to negotiate "liberating" these sad fish?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Is this an independent or a chain store? Are all their tanks in poor condition or just this one? Often large fish are trade ins, donations or drop offs from someone. Some people just give them to the store so there is no cost.

Depending on the philosophy of the owner/manager you may be able to negotiate a cheaper price. If they paid nothing, getting something before they expire or have been in the shop too long may be a motivator. I was always open to offers, bundled deals, quantity discounts especially for large fish that had been around for a while. If they actually purchased them from a distributor, they may have an investment which requires a better offer.

Open a dialog with them, see if they are open to offers, express your concern about giving them a better home, perhaps they will work with you on the price.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's odd that a shop owner would put a high value on a fish (or three) but then treat them so poorly. Are you sure you analyzed the situation correctly? If so, and if you are concerned, I'd suggest you pony up the cash and buy those fish their freedom! Liberty is never cheap!

Just joking with you a bit there... but honestly, I'd pay the asking price if it's really as bad as you say and you have the space for them. They get a new lease on life and you get three big beautiful fish - WIN WIN!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We were in a fish store years ago to buy food at the end of summer. He had a shubunkin that had a bulging stomach. He said he would sell it to us half price. We bought it, and that fish lived about 10 years. Bulging stomach and all.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I spent $50 on a blue koi that was for sale at a local nursery. I had seen their stocktank with several koi and all the medical pond additives they were using. I went back several days later, only one fish left alive! Wentworth is thriving in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Keeping fish in those conditions is bound to kill some. The stress, poor conditions, and exposure to who knows what, all come together to decrease immune system while increased exposure to various pathogens.
If you think you will get them, set up a qt tank big enough for them to be comfortable in, good filters, places to hide, in a quiet area, so they can be calm, and you can watch them until you know there are no issues.

Ask a Question