ph issues

Reaction score
is it possible for potting soil to keep ph levels lowered to 5.5?my plant out grew its pot so i replanted with potting soil in a planter.up till then my pond was around 7.0 or so ph and plant was perfect color and growing.now plant is turning black so i checked pond to find ph of 5.5.been a 2 week deal now.got it up with baking soda worked for few days today ph dropped again.all other test are good except for ph.my kois are growing fast is the only other change.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With potting soil you can get a wide range of readings and if the soil has pearllite in it you will lower your ph .The pet store where I get my water tested told me that not sure but I did try it in a container water garden I had ,plants were growing great but ph was down .Could have been because I only had 1 fish in there and a visiting turtle .I tried that because my water hyacinth and water lettuce was dieing in the pond and I put a taro and an elephant ear in with it in soil the fish was just a goldfish my niece had and did not want to take care of .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
is it possible for potting soil to keep ph levels lowered to 5.5?my plant out grew its pot so i replanted with potting soil in a planter.up till then my pond was around 7.0 or so ph and plant was perfect color and growing.now plant is turning black so i checked pond to find ph of 5.5.been a 2 week deal now.got it up with baking soda worked for few days today ph dropped again.all other test are good except for ph.my kois are growing fast is the only other change.

If the soil had peat moss in it, that will drop you ph, my bogs are planted with peat moss (carnivorous bogs) they love acidic soil and peat is acidic.

Ask a Question