Phil's New Pond Build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What is the name of the long leafed plants?

Do you mean the variegated one at the top of the waterfall? That's a type of grass - not sure what variety. They grow really big!

And speaking of big - I'd rethink your plan to get one koi that "doesn't grow real big". There's literally no way of knowing which koi would end up a 36 inches, unless you're buying something really expensive and are absolutely certain of the bloodline. Your garden variety koi can do just about anything growth wise - we have some that stayed small-ish and some that are monsters - all purchased at the same time from the same place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought they only grow into the size of the pond. I guess not.Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think i will start with gold fish and other verities with only one koi.
A koi that does not grow too big. What other type of fish do you guys suggest.
Stick with goldfish. Shubunkins are really pretty, "poor man's koi" That is what I have. Less stress, koi need lots of water, filtration, etc.
They grow to what ever size their genetics tell them to grow to. It is a myth a fish will stop growing dependent on the water room. And a koi will breed with your goldfish, you will have a bunch of mutts.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of my shubbies
f3.JPG
f4.JPG
f6.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

Very common misconception and unfortunately not one that most pet stores who sell koi out of aquariums are dispelling. Choose your fish by the size of your pond and you'll have a happy pond! And look at @addy1 's shubbies - they're beautiful!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my koi are over 2 feet long and never imagined a fish in a pond would get that big ,but they do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great info as usual . Thanks
BTW: Do you guy's ever buy fish online?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith care to chime in? Or @Gemma ?
I actually rather buy koi online than shop for hours in stores with limited selection. I have a few places I buy from now and so far the fish have been fine.
I bought from Koi To The World, Beni Hanna Nishikigoi, Castawaikoi, Next Day Koi
Buying online is great, if one can be there when the package arrives (usually the next day) so that the fish doesn't stay in the dirty low oxygen water bag for longer than it has to

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith care to chime in? Or @Gemma ?

Hi. I have with good results. Most sellers are very concerned with your satisfaction. Honestly after buying on line it's very difficult to buy from anyone local because the selection is typically so limited. So far my favorites have been ChampKoi.com and Kloubec Koi, but there are lot of other excellent dealers to buy from.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So far my favorites have been ChampKoi.com and Kloubec Koi

Kloubec makes their own fish food too that our fish go crazy for. I don't know what's in it that they love so much but it definitely has a lot more "fishy" odor than any other food we've ever bought!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are lucky, have a fish hatchery near us. I go and pick them out. Well have not in years now. They have a real nice selection of koi, gold fish, fan tails, snails, tadpoles etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pond is complete and this is what i am dealing with.It is dust from the rocks.Don't think the filter can do anything to clear it up?? Any ideas will help. Thanks

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 2.png
    2.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 3.png
    3.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 133
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond is complete and this is what i am dealing with.It is dust from the rocks.Don't think the filter can do anything to clear it up?? Any ideas will help. Thanks
Not sure what your system is like, but this is what cleared both my ponds: adding this type of filter pad to the skimmer box,( I put mine behind the Matala pad that came with the skimmer) and rinsing it once a day
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071V7GXHV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ask a Question