phosphate in my pond

Reaction score
semi new to ponds had pond for 12 years just had goldfish now have koi my question is does high phosphate harm fish and is there a natual way to bring it down
:confused2:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum! I would Google this and see what turns up. How do you know about the phosphate and how did it get there?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I was asking how you know you have phosphate in the water and if you have any idea how it got there. Some folks are on well water. We are not mind readers...:icon_smile:

Reaction score
sorry .I have water test kit that test phosphate ph 7.0 amonia0 nitrate0 phosphate 10+
I have 360 gal pond with pump with 6x4 prefilter into a waterfall filter thats 16x8 will have to build biofilter just not alot of room . oh ya i have city water maybe i should test that

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Check out this site, it has info on this and has remedies for extreme conditions. I don't think yours is extreme.
http://www.aqua-mart.com/pocaph.html
BTW, I am not big on chemicals so this site, as far as I am concerned, is for information, not product.

Reaction score
ok i will check it out where did you find connecters for plastic containers i fell a weekend project coming on thank you for the help

Reaction score
checed that site maybe i have to many fish and maybe feeding to much have at least 6 6to 7"koi maybe 4 small and about 8 1 1/2 gold fish

Reaction score
drdave how it got there . i was just about to put fertiliser in my 3 newest pond plants when i looked at the bottle phostphate 5.00 pot ash 10 ive got a felling i may have found the source:eek2:

Reaction score
well i think i may have found the cause. i was going to feed pond plants when .
i saw phosphate 5.0 pot ash 10 on the bottle .maybe source fed three new plants about a month ago.

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that ponds always have phosphates. Plants and bacteria use them to grow. I am also willing to bet that using algeacide or having any decaying plant matter releases phophates back into the water column.

Not sure on ponds but this is the case in reef tanks. If you have a die off of high phosphate consuming life such as cyano then the phosphates will go through the roof in the water column even though the levels my not have been high enough to test before the die-off

Ask a Question