Planning pond build but have questions

Reaction score
:100:Hi, I'm planning to build a pond part above ground and not sure how to mount filters. There will be about a 15" block wall (about 2 cinder blocks high) and then I will dig down another 24". I'm undecided on a diy skimmer and water fall or to buy them? My problem is how to mount a skimmer to a block wall with it being a level surface all the way around? It will be 12'x5' and around 3' deep.
It will be right next to the house and deck. The steps from the deck is the reason for the short wall because it will be right next to the pond. Hopefully this will keep anyone from stepping onto the pond and could also be used as a seat. I know the skimmer has to be at water level and how can I run the plumbing to hide it? I would like to use something like this http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11695/product.web and http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11697/product.web
Will this even be possible for a block wall?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Justbecause, on the top course of your blocks use bricks when you get to the spot for your filter leave the brick out and build it up with mortar to adjust water level. run liner over mortar and into filter. .using bricks around the top will give you a nice edge to hide your liner. rock on rock

Reaction score
At first it was going to be one level but I'm thinking that I should have at least one shelf for plants. Will this make a difference?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The plant shelf wont matter . i would forget the skimmer , and put a pump in the pond , pump out to your filter thats above your water level , then gravity feed it back to your pond, Via waterfall . the higher the filter the higher the fall

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Skimmers are a nice to have item. In my 40 years of ponds I have never had one. The most recent filter I have built is a biological filter which keeps the pond crystal clear. I used a 55 gallon drum to build mine with then built my 2nd waterfall around it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is cold now, so I haven't done it for about 6 weeks. When it is warmer and the fish are feeding, I do it about every 2 weeks.

With this filter, all I have to do to clean it is open a 2" dump valve for a couple minutes and the sludge that is trapped in the bottom, backflushes out. Then I close the valve and I'm good for another couple weeks. The plants love the stuff and I don't have to take apart anything.

I have a filter media filter on my other waterfall as well, but I only run the large waterfall on special occasions. That filter must be taken apart and cleaned. It only removes large debries and doesn't do anything to keep the water clear.

The bio filter, once it starts doing its thing will clear the water and keep it that way.

Reaction score
That sounds great. Do you have any pictures and/or plans that I could use to build something like that? What size is your pond and pump? Are there any pictures of your pond on here?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The new web site is still in the planning stage. The few photos in this post actually show you enough to build one. You have a 55 gal plastic drum, 2" valve, milk crate in the bottom to support the 1/2" mesh plastic that holds the 7000 plastic tubes up and the 1 1/2" spillway fitting going towards your waterfall spillway. That 3/4" PVC pipe that goes down to the bottom is from the pump in your pond and it fills the filter from the bottom up. As the water passes through and around all the tubes, solids settle out and bacteria colonies start to grow and that is your filter. Your pond bottom remains clean and does not become the bio filter that if stirred, smells like sewer.

Thats it! I googled the internet to get ideas and this is what I designed based on what I found.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
looks good DrDave . justbecause what are you going to edge the top of your pond with

Ask a Question