Planning on building my pond

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to say that after finding out that the fish i actually had in my tank is a Koi. i have decided now is the time to get that pond i have always wanted :)

First of all if anyone could help me with the getting started point that would be great.
What would i need ect ect??

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
read some of the construction threads, they have a lot of information that will help you.

You need to decide what size, shape, filters, pumps etc.

diy or buying equipment etc etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep and you need to decide where you can put it on your property that's agreeable to everyone else in the house.
Remember to try and make it pretty big if you are going to have Koi...........the bigger the better cuz they get huge
fish34.gif

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
better have a good shovel and a better back......lol

keep it away from tree's ,as tree roots may give u problems later on.

oh a measuring tape,.wheelbarrel and a cheerleading squad ,will help....lmao

Reaction score
I know so far it's going to be, 8ft wide by 3ft deep. sure that will be big enough to keep my koi in?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sounds like a nice size. How long?

Filtration with koi is very important.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't make it flat bottom. Go a little deeper in the middle and shallower on the outside perimeter. This way your fish will have a good hiding place in the middle from predators and the outside areas can be used for plant shelves. Also make sure the sides are sufficiently raised so that a heavy rain doesn't encourage water to drain into your pond. There are lost of bad chemicals for the fish we use in our lawns and gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'm tearing up my pond and building bigger this Spring, so I'm also on the hunt for supplies. If you're making your own filter, I found a local recycling place listed on craigslist that carries barrels. I picked up two 55-gallon food-grade barrels today for $20/each. Got the tops cut off and washed out the soda syrup that was in them (its gonna take awhile for that smell to go away!). I figure having them exposed to the elements through the rest of the winter will help clear out anything left in them, and I can get the pipe fittings put in place so its one less thing to worry about in the spring.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
After you have flushed them a few times, fill them with water and add a cup of bleach. Let them sit for a few days and the smell should go away and you will know they are sterile.
Don't dump the water on your lawn or anything else that you want to live.

Ask a Question