Planning pond build but have questions

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I guess it is called soaker hose. Larger diameter hose or tubing is better, since it won't fall through the grate in the bottom. We have an open field next door that used to be an orchard. When they cut down the trees, the ground was littered with thousands of feet of hose. So we helped pick up the litter. you can also use bottle caps, like from Snapple, or cut pieces of PVC or ABS. You just need a lot of surface area for this to work.

Do the math, your cut pieces are going to be 1.5" long and there are about 7000 of them. I estimated this number based on how fast we could cut them and the time spent doing it, so it may vary. I used a paper cutter to do mine. You know the green guillitine type that are used for photos and other trimming.

Good luck!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
well now you guys got me thinking i need a new filter for my lower pond . still have same filter i made 18 years ago . made out of a plaster cast trap i got out of a hospital maybe 15 gal at most ponds clean but maybe can be better

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
the barrel sounds like it would hold more every thing ,have a lot of 2" pipe to cut up ,thought about going 2" on the bottom of filter.then get smaller as i fill it up 1 1/2" to 1"

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Initially, I wanted to use 1" PVC, but my source fell through. 2" will work, although I would mix in some smaller as well. The grate across the bottom has to be able to support whatever you use. Mine is a little weak, so I think I will eventually have to replace mine. I'm not looking forward to the task.

Reaction score
I thought of using pvc pipe but I didn't know if it offered enough surface area for bacteria growth. You probably could use the thinner wall pvc to save money. That would also be cheaper than soaker hose. What other media could be used?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When I called it soaker hose, I wasn't thinking. It is actually drip irrigation hose which is very cheap and thin wall. For me it was free since it was abandoned after the grove was cut down.

If you run the calculations, 7000 1/2" tubes cut 1.5" long, equals 32,986.695 square inches. That is a significant number.

Circumference X Dia X length X 2 (inside & outside) X number of pieces.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i have a lot of thin wall 2" pipe , will go ahead and mix with smaller sizes, and make sure i find a grid strong enough to suport it. thanks for help

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i have a lot of thin wall 2" pipe , will go ahead and mix with smaller sizes, and make sure i find a grid strong enough to suport it. thanks for help

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm Going To Cut My Lid And Drill Holes In It For My Grate On Top Of The Milk Crate

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm Going To Cut My Lid And Make My Grate With It Will Drill A Lot Of Hole's In It

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A lid will work fine. If that is your plan, consider this; With 2" PVC as your substraight, I would use a hole saw and go with 1" holes on a 3" schedule, alternating rows.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Not Trying To Make Double Post But It's Taking A While And I Think It Dident Make It

Ask a Question