Plans and pictures for new pond - need input, please!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would put the red maple just to the left of the water fall behind the bog so i didn't lose any viewing pleasure from the deck..
With the extra dirt i would mound it up around a drum filter and finish with rock to make the water fall ..Then the red maple would soften the look of the rock mass
I had some great summers in Effingham back in the 70s

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You have all given me lots of great ideas, exactly what I knew I would get. I have very few trees in my yard, 2 very large elms (very small leaves) but they are about 150' from the back of the house. Soft maples (yuck!) in back yard, but only one that is close enough to cause any problems, and with the wind here on my "prairie", they usually all blow away, although I'm sure some will end up in the pond. :)
Heading out this evening, will get back on in the a.m. post more pics, but mostly you can see what I have, will post different angles. May do as you all suggest and move pond to in front of the low area. It's where I originally wanted it, but worried about kids. But, why worry when there aren't any around . . .yet!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you know your going to have kids for certain, make the far side kid friendly. Place a bench that is kid inviting, make sure you have a opening where they can get low and sit near the pond. a lighted trail from the stairs to the bench area. You'll find kids have some of the biggest intrests. fish tend to not like tall people standing by the edge of the pond, with kids they tend to bend down and get close. The fish are calmer and more likely to be friendly with them. get them involved and you'll find that kids want to be there alot. If your going to put plant shelves in this is a good place as it gives you a entry spot if you should have to get in the pond for some reason and it gives a place to get out if for some reason someone ends up in it. But Beware this is also the prime location for unwanted predators. My deck is closer to the water but no hand rails, it's only a 18" drop and I've never had anyone in this one, The one I did have someone fall into was off of a deck similar to yours. We were building and I hadn't secured the planks, My friends were standing on one end I was standing on the other, when I walk off they went straight in! It was funny then but I learned to take more precautions from it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I probably should have said something like that but I was laughing to hard to ask, the first thing I checked when I got my breath was to see if it poked a hole in the liner, then I helped them get out! LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh geeze checked the liner before he checked his friends out poor guys what a friend you are :fish::lol::lol::lol:.poor guys soaking wet and I hope it wasn't cold out at least .You check there pockets for fish too before they left :lol::lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Finally getting back to trying to upload pics. Let me know if they are "viewable". I resized them to a certain pixel number, and that seemed to get the size where GPF would allow them. :)
OK, I've decided to center the pond in front of the low railing, as suggested, and as I originally wanted it. I'm going to be doing a DIY filter system, not sure if I will use a tank (metal), or tub (Rubbermaid type) or garbage can (plastic type). Here's my biggest question about the filter. Do I need to take anything into the garage for the winter, or is it ok to let it freeze? Does freezing not hurt the biological elements? I'm assuming it doesn't. Also, assuming I do not need to bring anything inside (plan to use floating heater for the pond), then do I have to worry about tub or garbage can freezing and cracking, or will they expand with the ice?
Also, should I leave the back side of the waterfall open so I can get to the filter easy enough? I assume so, as that is how you clean the filters when necessary. And, if I use the tank, then it can show and have plants on the top, but would it need to be where the water would flow from the top over the waterfall? Sorry, I have not seen enough ponds in use to know the answer to these questions. :)
Thanks for the reminder to put the edge of the landscape stones away some, as they will get closer as they are stacked. I'm contemplating using the landscape stones on one side of the waterfall, then the top and fall itself with natural type stones. The back will be block, like in the picture, or maybe regular concrete block.
Should I keep the backside of the pond away from the deck, so I can get behind it, or is it best to snug it up against the deck? If I put it a foot or so away, I could plant things back there maybe, although planned to have it snug.
And, Dr. Case, wondering what your connection to Effingham is/was! :) I've lived here since my family moved in 1977.

Attachments

• Pond design again resized 2.jpg
    Pond design again resized 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Pond design 2 resized.jpg
    Pond design 2 resized.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 298
  • Blocks for foundation resized.jpg
    Blocks for foundation resized.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 245

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This is what is allowed. Size your photos before you attempt to post and make sure they don not exceed these limits.
bmp 146.5 KB - -
doc 146.5 KB - -
gif 146.5 KB - -
jpeg 146.5 KB - -
jpg 146.5 KB - -
pdf 244.1 KB - -
png 146.5 KB - -
txt 244.1 KB - -
zip 244.1 KB - -

Reaction score
I would do that pond with no filter at all, Well mebbe to get it started but after that I would do away with it. If you plant enough aquatic plants before you introduce fish to the system then add a few goldies. The surface of the liner and all that the water touches will become a filter even a waterfall with a river bed will be a better filter than any man made biological filter.

Now I am not saying that mechanical filtration dose not have have a place in the ponding world it certainly dose but after it has done what you want and we all want quality water get rid of it. Its a drag on the system competing with aquatic plants for nutrients in the water column releasing nitrate, consuming oxygen plus a PITA to clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
How very interesting idea, Pond Boy! We actually saw a totally natural biological pond by an Aquarium store, and it was less than 2' deep, they never fed the fish, no filtration system, left fish in all winter long, and in Indiana! Not sure how the fish survived, and they were mainly goldfish as far as I could tell. The fish were small, though. Might have been one Koi, but it was maybe 6" at best. So, maybe if I had a filtration system, I could disconnect it and only run the pump to the waterfall and fountain, you're saying ... sounds much more carefree to me, but what about the clarity of the water? I understand the quality may be fine, but I want to be able to see the fish, too. Enough plants help that as well, and I assume vacuum bottom to keep the poop cleaned up, which I planned to do anyhow?

Reaction score
CE I have never had an issue with water clarity. If you strike a balance in the system let mother nature do her thing she will treat you to a pond that is low hassle has beautiful fish and aquatic plants. Yes you still need to do regular cleaning..

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of it last summer.

DSC06483.jpg

DSC06484.jpg

And one from the new waterfall\riverbed I added this year please keep in mind that pic was taken soon after I finished it. I will snap a pic of how clear the water is now.

DSCN0985.jpg

Ask a Question