addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking forward to your build, it is going to be fun to follow along as you work

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whiskey,maybe it's my slow computer but I couldn't get that page to show anything but a white.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me either, says domain name listed for sale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It opened up for me. It's a woodworker's website, but I'm not sure how to find what you were talking about, Whiskey. Did you mean to search on that site for "Bridge foot large"? I tried that and got a bunch of items. Maybe they are all within the site. Need to look further.
Majstor, I'm a little late here, but the pics you posted of I assume your friend's pond, those tall plants are really cool! Like what is on that little mini island. BUT, around here, I'm seeing them showing up along interstates in the ditches, and they are spreading like wild fire. I have wild cat tails in my farm pond, and they have literally taken over. I wanted some of what is in your friend's pond, once I get my pond dug out and the cat tails gone, but my son pointed out how they are everywhere, spreading really bad, and we wonder if they would do the same thing in my pond. Maybe if they were contained in your bog they would or could not spread. Just a warning. I see they are on several shorelines of the pond, so you might ask how much they have spread. I sure love those plumes they make, though. Always see them in ditches or wetlands. They get VERY tall, I've seen them over 8'. Let me know what you find out about them. I'm following this thread now, thought I was before, but guess now! I had a lot of catching up to do. :)

Reaction score
you might find this site interesting www.woodworkershop.com look for " bridge foot large " with treated timbers it would last a lifetime......without steel.

I doesnt work for me too, but found similar things

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/bridges.php

Now i just have to compile ideas from all that plans to my bridge. And i have to check it out how to protect that wood without polluting pond after rains. I have some experience with wood but not the one over water and fishes in it.

Reaction score
It opened up for me. It's a woodworker's website, but I'm not sure how to find what you were talking about, Whiskey. Did you mean to search on that site for "Bridge foot large"? I tried that and got a bunch of items. Maybe they are all within the site. Need to look further.
Majstor, I'm a little late here, but the pics you posted of I assume your friend's pond, those tall plants are really cool! Like what is on that little mini island. BUT, around here, I'm seeing them showing up along interstates in the ditches, and they are spreading like wild fire. I have wild cat tails in my farm pond, and they have literally taken over. I wanted some of what is in your friend's pond, once I get my pond dug out and the cat tails gone, but my son pointed out how they are everywhere, spreading really bad, and we wonder if they would do the same thing in my pond. Maybe if they were contained in your bog they would or could not spread. Just a warning. I see they are on several shorelines of the pond, so you might ask how much they have spread. I sure love those plumes they make, though. Always see them in ditches or wetlands. They get VERY tall, I've seen them over 8'. Let me know what you find out about them. I'm following this thread now, thought I was before, but guess now! I had a lot of catching up to do. :)

At first i didnt know what pond are you talking about but remembered to have posted pics of local pond (on arhaic croatian its called bajer)

https://picasaweb.google.com/102198723726309461168/Bajer

Thats not my frends pond, its state pond by railway station. It was created long time ago for diging clay or something for bricks. Later they just allowed for water to fill in.
Tall plant you have seen is Phragmites, the Common reed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phragmites

http://newswise.com/articles/view/553035/

http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=301&fr=1&sts=

I wouldnt plant it deliberately without means to control it. I have it some in tubpond (in flowerpot), taken from bajer, and in one year roots have filled up entire 10 inch pot. So, it is fast growing and problematic if just planted in wild.
But, it is nice plant . I like it when wind blows and stalks are hitting each other producing that nice sound.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
works for me.......what ever site you choose or plan ...remember to use pressurised treated timbers for out door use
good luck look forward to see your design later...........twenty years ago i to had a bridge over pond leading to a seated arbour, so we could watch and feed fish.

Reaction score
works for me.......what ever site you choose or plan ...remember to use pressurised treated timbers for out door use
good luck look forward to see your design later...........twenty years ago i to had a bridge over pond leading to a seated arbour, so we could watch and feed fish.

So, chemicals used in process of presure treating would not pose a problem for flora/fauna?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm also planning a bridge, over a stream that will go from my existing year old pond to the new pond that I'm planning to build this summer to separate koi from goldfish. But, my bridge will be MUCH smaller than your plan, Majstor. And, sorry for referring to pics you had posted previously. Sometimes I'm "late getting here". LOL That's a great idea, to plant that reed in a pot where it was not allowed to grow more than the pot would allow. I would love to have some myself. Do they just grow from the roots, then, and not from any seeds that are produced in those beautiful ferny looking heads? It would be fun to plant them in some type of controlled area on the back edge of my waterfall where the filter box is to cover that area up from behind.

Reaction score
I'm also planning a bridge, over a stream that will go from my existing year old pond to the new pond that I'm planning to build this summer to separate koi from goldfish. But, my bridge will be MUCH smaller than your plan, Majstor. And, sorry for referring to pics you had posted previously. Sometimes I'm "late getting here". LOL That's a great idea, to plant that reed in a pot where it was not allowed to grow more than the pot would allow. I would love to have some myself. Do they just grow from the roots, then, and not from any seeds that are produced in those beautiful ferny looking heads? It would be fun to plant them in some type of controlled area on the back edge of my waterfall where the filter box is to cover that area up from behind.

Common reed has two versions on american soil: american, and invasive (for your continent at least) euroasian type. American version is not so problematic and doesnt create monoculture like euroasian but both propagate by rhizome and seeds.

North American (left, non invasive) and Eurasian (right, invasive) common reed populations

capacite_epuratoire_ind.jpg

But you dont have to risk with these reeds, there are more doctile species which look same/similar

This is text on croatian translated to english (very good translation i would say) and it shows some type of ornamental reeds

http://translate.goo...%2FDefault.aspx

If you want something really tall and reedish maybe erundo donax would be good. Its producing seeds but mostly are sterile and propagates via nice clumping rhizome. So, when its bit too big just take axe and cut rhizome.

250px-Arundo_donax_1.jpg

Reaction score
I made a more detailed plan in 3d to see how its gonna look and how to do levels since its slope. It seems ill have to dig 2-3ft to level it. Thats why i made two levels with a diff about 50cm between (with 2-3 stairs).
One thing i didnt check are the laws here about ponds and pools. With our bureaucracy i think ill need pile of paper

AutoSave_tlocrt2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It looks like a very nice design and now I can see the steps and slope downward to the pond that you are talking about. Hope they let you build it the way you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Majstor, the article you provided link to was really interesting! Doubly so that it was translated, and I'm always interested in how other languages translate into English. I enjoyed reading about the different types of reeds and grasses. I've seen most if not all of them at the local nursery, and will get some of the taller varieties this sping, I believe. Thanks!

Reaction score
It looks like a very nice design and now I can see the steps and slope downward to the pond that you are talking about. Hope they let you build it the way you want.

I checked some laws and it says

Ordinance on simple construction works and works

Article 2

Without the act approving the construction and building permits can be constructed:

First Accessory buildings that are built on the parcel for the existing building and building as follows:

- Pool layout area to 24 m2 and a depth of 2 m,

but later it says

Article 3

Without the act approving the construction and building permits may carry out works to:

Second ... of garden pool or pond construction (gross) up to 12 m2 and a depth of 1.00 m from the level of the surrounding soil ...

So ill have to see what can be applied in my case

Ask a Question