Plant recommendations to compete with Mint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - lovely weather's here. I'm finishing off the patio around the pond now. Right up to the edge to hide the plastic all the way round. I'll post some photos later.

But, in the meantime, I'd like some advice on plants.

I've got Mint on boggy shelves. It's doing a great job with roots dangling deep into the water. Zero nitrates and zero algae :)

But the mint totally out-competes everything else. It surrounds other plants and they don't really flourish. Not sure if it's the mint sucking up all the nutrients or whether the 'mintiness' acts as some kind of inhibitor to other plants helping mint spread?

Anyway. I have another pond with almost no plants. This has algae although not too bad. I'd like to introduce more plants in this second pond but not sure what to get. Maybe put some mint in first just to get it going but something else that can compete with the mint?

If there was some other plant(s) that can compete with the mint, occupy a lot of space and just make my borders look a bit more interesting?

Any suggestions?

Thanks y'all. :geek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Monkey fist and water cress possibly forgetmenots

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny looks nice growing from the outside of pond and crawling over the edge into the pond water. Also Sedum to the left of the Creeping Jenny w/the reddish tint to it.
I like Parrots Feather floating in the water maybe tucked in between rocks or in a big pot.

IMG_4967.JPG

Parrots Feather in a big pot:

IMG_9774.JPG

Again Parrots Feather tucked w/roots in rocks wandering out into pond:

IMG_7592.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks you all for the suggestions. I need to go look at Monkey Fist see what that looks like. I never heard of that one.

I do like the look of the parrots feather laying across the surface of the pond. I'll look that up too. My fish will love the cover. Shade might keep the water temp down too so I'll definitely look into getting some of that.

But to compete with the water mint for the shelves I was wanting something taller to compete on equal terms with the water mint that takes over wherever I put it. See the circled area of this picture (also in the pic some of the patio slabs I mentioned earlier)

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 12.37.00.jpg

I do like the height and bulk of water mint though and there's lots of dragonfly larvae and other creepy crawlies that hide in the packed shelves. Any more suggestions? something maybe a foot to 18" high and bushy like in the picture?

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The human hand, rip it out. in a pond that small if the mint gets going it will take over very quickly ask me how i know. my secondary bog is nothing but mint and i had plenty of other plants in there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The human hand, rip it out. in a pond that small if the mint gets going it will take over very quickly ask me how i know. my secondary bog is nothing but mint and i had plenty of other plants in there.
That's what I do but it takes over again pretty quick. I was hoping to rip a lot of it out and replace it with something that will hold back the mint

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any plant that's equally aggressive as the mint you want have any water left showing. but that's my experience here in the states.

Ask a Question