Plants for Pondless Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

I am currently constructing a small pondless waterfall. I would like to have a few plants inside the waterfall to add some color, but I'm not sure if it will be possible with my setup.

The stream portion will only have a water depth of about 3". Are there any plants that can be planted directly in rocks with that shallow of water? I would prefer to not have anything in pots. I am in zone 5b, but don't mind planting them in the spring and then removing them in the fall.

The entire waterfall is only about 6 feet, so I would need plants that will stay small/short so it doesn't overtake the waterfall.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can use? Thanks!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One thing that would work for you is water forget me not. You'll need to keep thinning it out, but it would probably even survive the winter if there are parts of your stream or basin that retain water or ice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You know your pondless waterfall will prolly get algae and then you will be wanting to clear it up. Plants will help but you can use Hydrogen Peroxide in there to get rid of algae and it supposedly won't hurt plants or fish.
Creeping Jenny is a pretty plant: https://www.aquascapeinc.com/water-gardening/plants/creeping-jenny

Creeping Jenny in my pond:

IMG_4043.JPG

Also I like Parrots Feather and it can be planted in between the rocks. In my pond:

IMG_7589.JPG

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
IMG_2636.jpg

Welcome! You didn't mention what zone you're in, but I have LOTS of plants in my pond less waterfall - here's a picture!

Ask a Question