Plants??

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think someone here sells test kits, fertilizer, UV, Scarecrows and all the other stuff they are recommending.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm taking DrDave's advice about fertalizing my pond plants. I'm going to let the pond do the work. The fish waste should be enough to assist the plants in this man made enviroment.

Short of having the filter system, I would rather go as natural as possible.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but to this day I have a pond test kit that I haven't used in over a year. Looking at my pond and fish in the pond, I don't see anything under any kind of stress. I see nothing that would alarm me enough to think that I need to check the PH and ammonia levels in my pond.

The way I look at it, 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'. From what I can tell the natural balance in my pond between the fish and the living plants are quite healthy.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, that said, now is the time of year to remove all the muck that has been collecting in the bottom of your ponds. Even though the PH, nitrate, nitrite and all the other parameters are ok that does not mean that under all that muck it is.

A fish that pokes its nose into that muck can get a bacteria infection that can lead to Dropsy.

Dropsy is not contagious, but is nearly always fatal unless caught and treated in time. This is an insidious disease/infection that causes the fish to swell up, eyes bulge and the scales stick out like a pinecone. prior to this, they have a loss of appetite which is a clue that should not be overlooked.

I think I will post this subject into the disease part of our Forum this weekend when I have more time to elaborate.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
A week ago I cut back all of the dead water lilly pads, and the other day I reomved all, (I hope) of the parrot feather. I thought I might have to siffen some muck off of the bottom of my pond that I couldn't really see before. To my surprise, all could find is some of the pea gravel that the Shubunkins managed to take out of some water lilly pots and drop on the bottom of the pond.

I thought about taking an old bloom and sweep the peebles to one end of the pond that I can reach and scoop them out by hand.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Right after I did the pre-winter cleanup the water in my pond became quite murky from cutting back and moving the plants around. Within a day to two the water was back to crystal clear.

I will continue to run the water pump all winter. I only have the skimmer/pre-filter, pump, and heater in the filter reservor next to the pond running. Next spring the boi-filter will come out of storage.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i, like DrDave, never fertilize my plants, and if you check out any of my videos or pix you can see how they grow and flurish without the aid of artificial enhancement. when your ponds balance is where it shouild be everything gets its proper nutrient requirements

I think your secret, koiguy, are those plant baskets rings you built. I'm going to try making a few this winter. I use only the ring to keep the plants together, but don't cover the roots--which of course koi adore to feast on and leads to plants that never flourish. Next spring I'm using your design to protect the plants, and I bet they'll be as big as yours.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
KoiKeeper, The plants rings that you are refering to, are they for the floating plants like the water hyacinth?

Keeping the hyacinths in one location of my pond would really help me control them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the floating plant rings will keep your hiacynths, lettuce etc. together and the roots protected from the fish gobbling them up. just wait till they taste the bulbous part of the stems on your hiacynths...they like them more than the roots....oh and squirrels love them too!!

Reaction score
koiguy, can you resupply a link to that brilliant thread where you showed the details and photos of your spangly plant baskets? It's worth attaching it here too for all to see.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
this is where it is...i dont know how to link it to this thread tho!!
Garden Pond Forum > Garden Pond Forums > DIY - Do It Yourself > floating planter rings

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi koiguy,

I'm working a floating planter ring, and should have it done in a day or two. I really like the idea of being able to control the water hyacinths growth and location in my small pond.

Ask a Question