Please help I can’t see my fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
We’re getting off track here. @Vikki are you still out there?
This is a very interesting thread and I can relate to Vikki. Going through a similar issue with my pond. Water looked like her picture then it went to crystal clear for a week or two. It was amazing to see all the way to the bottom I f the pond. Be glad to answer any questions to get any advice. :) I have been enjoying thus forum and very glad I stumbled on it. Attached are photos of my pond. It is about 11 years old. Gets cleaned yearly by Premier Ponds in MD. Really great bunch of people.

Attachments

• 7D19030A-3158-4CC7-B099-2CDD0B982D00.jpeg
    7D19030A-3158-4CC7-B099-2CDD0B982D00.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 5BB60F6D-80DC-4DB4-A587-DCF4CA16AB96.jpeg
    5BB60F6D-80DC-4DB4-A587-DCF4CA16AB96.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 93
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok it looks like everyone chimed in but the poster

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
after 11 years i would think just about any pond should find some sort of balance and not need constant cleaning but if it is working why stop

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok it looks like everyone chimed in but the poster
True and I apologize for possibly hijacking the thread. Just happens I was coming here to post exactly what the original poster asked about :) hopefully no one will take my post as an imposition.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not at all . thye can't mind if they don't come back

Reaction score
Country
United States
after 11 years i would think just about any pond should find some sort of balance and not need constant cleaning but if it is working why stop
So true. They usually do 50% water change and a cleaning of filters and the like. Test of the season it is me doing what needs doing. Worth every minute for sure :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what do you have a skimmer and a biofall with a water fall ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
what do you have a skimmer and a biofall with a water fall ?
Was that’s supposed to be “why?” The original incarnation had a skimmer and no biofall. The skimmer supplies the original waterfall. Just a shallow weir and overflow. The fall was rebuilt as a bio fall and the skimmer was left in place. No reason to remove it. There is a pump in the pond that supplies the fall and an external pump that pulls water into the skimmer and also circulates water on the bottom levels of the pond. It is about 3 feet deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds like you have some good bones to the pond circulation is a good thing. So you have the oxygenerator the water fall you have some bacteria growing i assume the bio falls have lava rock or pads. and the skimmer gets the heavy stuff from the surface. where is the fine filter ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like you have some good bones to the pond circulation is a good thing. So you have the oxygenerator the water fall you have some bacteria growing i assume the bio falls have lava rock or pads. and the skimmer gets the heavy stuff from the surface. where is the fine filter ?
The falls have pads and bio balls on top of those. The skimmer has a fine pad in it and I also have some very fine felt like sheets that go from clean to full almost daily. I try to clean that sheet daily. I also have an iongen in the pond as well as an aquascape auto doser. Bacteria gets added on Sunday. The pond is approximately 3000 gallons Attached is a picture of my two largest fish :)

Attachments

• 0A86BFBE-93BF-4455-A6F2-1EE24747D152.jpeg
    0A86BFBE-93BF-4455-A6F2-1EE24747D152.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
.if you were to add up the cleaning every year . the ionge, the dosing . the time daily you clean the filter pads you could build a bog and improve the pond looks with bog plants and flowers. the bog will take care of the fine filter and for probably the cost of 1 years worth of what your doing now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AND THERE IS NO CLEANING the bog should last 5 years before you have to back wash it persay if you need to even do that

Reaction score
Country
United States
.if you were to add up the cleaning every year . the ionge, the dosing . the time daily you clean the filter pads you could build a bog and improve the pond looks with bog plants and flowers. the bog will take care of the fine filter and for probably the cost of 1 years worth of what your doing now
I have no idea how to create a bog. Never researched it. Might have to look into it though. Any sites you can point me to with info?

Ask a Question