Plumbing for skimmer and filter falls

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When plumbing in a skimmer and filter falls, what do you do? Just connect the two with a long run of Flex PVC? Assuming I'm OK with disassembling the media of the falls, is there any reason to add any additional valves or piping to back-flow and rinse out the filter falls (usual up flow type). Any reason to add valves to divert water from the pump to somewhere other than the falls?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is advisable to install a check valve/back-flow prevention valve between the pump outlet and the intake at the bottom of the filter falls. This will insure, in case of a power failure or other reasons that the pump stops working, that the water level in the filter falls is maintained protecting the bacterial colonies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. Just the regular kind of Schedule 40 valve used (for instance) on the output of a sump pump? How would I then drain the system for the winter? (Not a concern for you, I bet.)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks. Just the regular kind of Schedule 40 valve used (for instance) on the output of a sump pump? How would I then drain the system for the winter? (Not a concern for you, I bet.)
Not sure what you mean by "regular" kind of valve. A check valve/back flow preventer works automatically.

For Winter draining, tee off at a convenient spot in the line, add a ball valve and you are set to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So something like this diagram?

Attachments

• schematic.001.jpg
    schematic.001.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It is advisable to install a check valve/back-flow prevention valve between the pump outlet and the intake at the bottom of the filter falls. This will insure, in case of a power failure or other reasons that the pump stops working, that the water level in the filter falls is maintained protecting the bacterial colonies.
Agreed (y)

Dave

Reaction score
If you attach your check valve to your pump then you can avoid the extra ball valve. For the winter when you remove your pump you will also be removing the check valve and the water from the water falls will run back out the line and empty. If however you plan on washing the waterfalls out during the season then add an in line valve as Meyer suggested.

Ask a Question