Points on GPF are being thrown around like manhole covers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ian, Have you ever looked at Beer Advocate? They use similar software but have configured it differently. It might be interesting for you to see how they use points to create rankings for their members. If the concept of awarding points more easily brought more activity for GPF would that be a good thing?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian, Have you ever looked at Beer Advocate? They use similar software but have configured it differently. It might be interesting for you to see how they use points to create rankings for their members. If the concept of awarding points more easily brought more activity for GPF would that be a good thing?

I've not had a look yet, but I'll check it out later today :). If points did bring in more activity that would be great, but I'd hate the forums to all be about points rather than ponds - perhaps I'm reading too much in to how they've done this without checking it out, so I'll take a look in a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
okay. For me if I am a few posts or reviews away from reaching another point level it makes it fun to try to hit it. This way I might spend a few more minutes on the forum to do that. It's not like I am going on the site just to win points. I'm interested in the topic otherwise I wouldn't waste my time.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a look at how it works and it looks like they mainly have more milestones, rather than big chunks. I'll see if I can add any more levels in once I've finished with the article and newsletter modifications :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay. I hope I wasn't too nosey and I didn't realize Becky was ill which I'm sure is more work. I see this thread was put on the feedback section which makes more sense. Thanks Keith

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't worry about it, I always like to hear feedback on how we can improve things :). Hopefully Bex will improve in the coming months and be able to help out more on here :D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If I was to make it easier to gain points, all I'd be doing is adding a zero or two onto the end of each type of award so that it looked like everyone had more points - I don't think it would bring in extra visitors just for that ;). I don't look at points at all and would probably skip them altogether, but it was suggested a while ago as a nice way to reward members so I added it. The main thing they bring is the little icons under the username. Having a showcase entry is an easy way to get an icon and helps the forum out :). I may add more ways to gain trophies, mainly for things like having an article in the new article section, etc....
I'm still at a loss as to what they are for Ian , what are you supposed to do with them when you get them please ?
I just took a peak at our own and find we have 80 .

Dave

Dave

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still at a loss as to what they are for Ian , what are you supposed to do with them when you get them please ?
I just took a peak at our own and find we have 80 .

They're just a reward that's handed out for certain milestones - I don't really use them on the site, instead we have the little icons awards under each username (they just happen to have a points total). I never bother to look at the points totals, but it's part of the forum software.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They're just a reward that's handed out for certain milestones - I don't really use them on the site, instead we have the little icons awards under each username (they just happen to have a points total). I never bother to look at the points totals, but it's part of the forum software.
So what warrents you to get these points is it to do with time spent on the forum threads posted answered etc ?

Dave

Ask a Question