Tetra Filter BP2500... need some "points of view" !!!

Reaction score
Hello... 1st post to forum.

We bought a new house this past fall and it has a beautiful pond feature in the backyard... which we really enjoy. One thing that we cannot seem to correct is the pond has heavy amounts of algae and vegetation growth which we're trying to clean up.

The filtration system that is in the pond is the Tetra BP 2500.

In doing some online research I've realized this same filter comes with a UV system.

So questions...

1) Is the UV system effective in combating algae growth?

2) Do you know if you can buy the UV parts separately and turn the BP2500 into a BP2500-UV???

3) Where do people recommend this be purchased online?

4) Has anyone done this? Suggestions or feedback if you had to do it all over again?

We're also using some algae treatment etc but I really want to get this pond to the point where you can see the bottom and the fish that are in it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Geekay

Reaction score
geekay said:
1) Is the UV system effective in combating algae growth?

Against floating algae (pea soup), yes, provided its powerful enough and you dont forget to replace the bulb every 6-9 months. Against string or any other kind of algae, no, it does nothing.

2) Do you know if you can buy the UV parts separately and turn the BP2500 into a BP2500-UV???

Ask the manufacturer or seller. Usually yes. If not, you can always add a separate UV unit in line.

3) Where do people recommend this be purchased online?

I think few people here will in general recommend pressure filters, but if you are going to buy one, I see no problem buying it online.

We're also using some algae treatment etc but I really want to get this pond to the point where you can see the bottom and the fish that are in it.

Plants a very effective way to counter all kinds of algae, and unlike many chemicals, cause no harm. Some more info or pics on your pond might help get you better advice.

Ask a Question