Points on GPF are being thrown around like manhole covers

Discussion in 'Feedback Section' started by CometKeith, Jan 21, 2015.

1. CometKeith

Ian Administrator

I'll see what I can do to improve the showcase load times, I bet there's a way I can get things working a little faster an easier :). If you've got any suggestions on how to improve the look, please do post a new thread in the feedback section and I'll have a read through the ideas and start working :).

Ian, Jan 25, 2015
    j.w likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. CometKeith

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

"Image gallery" photos load slow but I tend to use that section only as an extra in case people want to see more. I usually just attach photos to each section and they load just as fast as the page. & Mitch, I'm not too sure what you mean by the navigation. At least for me it feels easy and nicely laid out.

JBtheExplorer, Jan 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. CometKeith

MitchM

It's the same as what jw mentioned, JB.
    There's a notification that there is something new, but the link doesn't take you to the new post. It just takes you to the beginning of the photo strip, which takes a while to load, at which point I just go back to the regular forums that are readily available.

I like the idea of the showcase but in practice I don't go through that forum because of the delays loading it.

MitchM, Jan 25, 2015
  4. CometKeith

DrCase Moderator Moderator

I should have a showcase but i dont

DrCase, Jan 25, 2015
  5. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

I have one but I fail to update it much. Get busy and make yourself one DrCase.

j.w, Jan 25, 2015
  6. CometKeith

CometKeith

Hi Ian, Have you ever looked at Beer Advocate? They use similar software but have configured it differently. It might be interesting for you to see how they use points to create rankings for their members. If the concept of awarding points more easily brought more activity for GPF would that be a good thing?

CometKeith, Jan 26, 2015
  7. CometKeith

Ian Administrator

I've not had a look yet, but I'll check it out later today :). If points did bring in more activity that would be great, but I'd hate the forums to all be about points rather than ponds - perhaps I'm reading too much in to how they've done this without checking it out, so I'll take a look in a bit.

Ian, Jan 26, 2015
  8. CometKeith

CometKeith

okay. For me if I am a few posts or reviews away from reaching another point level it makes it fun to try to hit it. This way I might spend a few more minutes on the forum to do that. It's not like I am going on the site just to win points. I'm interested in the topic otherwise I wouldn't waste my time.

CometKeith, Jan 26, 2015
  9. CometKeith

Ian Administrator

I've had a look at how it works and it looks like they mainly have more milestones, rather than big chunks. I'll see if I can add any more levels in once I've finished with the article and newsletter modifications :).

Ian, Jan 26, 2015
  10. CometKeith

CometKeith

Okay. I hope I wasn't too nosey and I didn't realize Becky was ill which I'm sure is more work. I see this thread was put on the feedback section which makes more sense. Thanks Keith

CometKeith, Jan 26, 2015
  11. CometKeith

Ian Administrator

Don't worry about it, I always like to hear feedback on how we can improve things :). Hopefully Bex will improve in the coming months and be able to help out more on here :D.

Ian, Jan 26, 2015
  12. CometKeith

Dave 54

I'm still at a loss as to what they are for Ian , what are you supposed to do with them when you get them please ?
    I just took a peak at our own and find we have 80 .

Dave

Dave

Dave 54, Jan 27, 2015
  13. CometKeith

Ian Administrator

They're just a reward that's handed out for certain milestones - I don't really use them on the site, instead we have the little icons awards under each username (they just happen to have a points total). I never bother to look at the points totals, but it's part of the forum software.

Ian, Jan 27, 2015
  14. CometKeith

Dave 54

So what warrents you to get these points is it to do with time spent on the forum threads posted answered etc ?

Dave

Dave 54, Jan 27, 2015
  15. CometKeith

Ian Administrator

Ian, Jan 28, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question