Polar Vortex moving down East Coast of US towards Florida

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When did weather become a constant emergency? It's a crisis every other day here with dire warnings and news segments on how to survive the latest cold/snow/wind or combination of all three. It creates panic for the sake of panic. We need to see weather patterns in terms of centuries, not years or even decades. We have been tracking weather for such a relatively short time that every tick off the "norm" or "average" seems like doomsday. Weather changes. Climates change. Let's save a little worry for another day.

Maybe I should have put this in the "general rants" - haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I heard it being called "The Siberian Express" since it's coming out of Russia. My anti-freeze spigot froze and bust.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not seen our river freeze up since we have lived here, it is a fast running river, gets ice along the edges. Yesterday, totally froze over. We were not here during the bad cold of last year.

Calling for 8 inches of snow today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it knocks back the gypsy moth numbers, which spoil waterlily pads, shan't grumble

Could be a good year for waterlilies...

Well, those that survive being frozen

Regards, andy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lilies are deep enough the tubers should be fine. Only 8 inches of ice last measure.
They are at least 12 inches down if not more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok good one my home owners insurance is out of Maryland and they sent me a letter and a e-mail Saying I have not called the insurance adjuster to look at the roof on both buildings .How can he look at the damage if both have snow on them .Do they not have snow there .I decided to send them pics I took after and during the storm and then went out and took pics today of both buildings DUH .When the insurance adjuster called the other day he said call him back when he could see the damage .Do they think I am making it up .Then what gets me the letter came today and they said I have to call today or claim will be closed out .Well funny but they are not open on saturdays .I left a message .Maybe it will melt when this cold weather goes away .After addy's post I had to laugh they must be in a snowless bubble there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
ok good one my home owners insurance is out of Maryland and they sent me a letter and a e-mail Saying I have not called the insurance adjuster to look at the roof on both buildings .How can he look at the damage if both have snow on them .Do they not have snow there .I decided to send them pics I took after and during the storm and then went out and took pics today of both buildings DUH .When the insurance adjuster called the other day he said call him back when he could see the damage .Do they think I am making it up .Then what gets me the letter came today and they said I have to call today or claim will be closed out .Well funny but they are not open on saturdays .I left a message .Maybe it will melt when this cold weather goes away .After addy's post I had to laugh they must be in a snowless bubble there
No sissy but insurance adjusters are a very sly bunch of people who will try and squirm out of paying out on your insurance if they think it your fault the roofing gave i;e did you do all that was possibly human to remove the snow from your roof ,
It may be a good idea to have taken photo's like RobAmy as proof that you did so, remember this polar vortex is going to cost them a fortune to pay out on like snakes they'll try to say its your fault and slide back under the rocks the crawled out from if they think they possibly can.....
They forget we pay there wages through our premiums .
What makes you think I dont like them :mad: , they slid out of paying for our break in :mad:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll throw a good word in for insurance companies here - my husband worked for one of the best companies for his entire working life, and the several claims we have had with them have been paid without question. His many, many happy customers would tell you the same thing. While SOME insurance companies are bad and SOME adjusters will try to wiggle out of paying claims (very likely because their own pay depends upon keeping their claim ratio low or they will be finding a new job!) there are very good companies that do exactly as they promise when the time comes.

From the other side of the coin, you would be shocked to hear how many times the customer is the true snake in the situation - in my husband's medium sized agency, he caught a client lying about a claim at least once a week. And those of us who pay premiums certainly don't want the company paying out on false claims or all of us will be paying a higher cost. I don't know what happened in your case Dave - you may indeed have been dealing with a den of snakes! I hope you've found a new insurance company since.

@sissy I would guess what you got was a computer generated letter that is kicked out any time a claim isn't finalized within a certain amount of days from the time it is first reported. The humans you are talking to didn't let the computer know that they told you they would need to wait, so the computer is just doing what it was programmed to do. Definitely not a sign that anyone is trying to scam you out of what you have coming to you. I'm sure it's more of a legal thing on the company's part to make sure it is covered in the event a customer were to claim months or years later that they damage that was never addressed, or try to claim it as new damage. It is a stressful situation without a doubt, but hopefully all will end up well for you once the snow is off the roof and the damage can be well inspected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
We had a fairly smooth experience with our insurance agency when we had storm damage to the house a number of years ago. We had a massive hailstorm one afternoon when both of us were at work... I came home and found pieces of shingles from the roof in the driveway! Our spare car parked at the house had hail damage, so we put in a claim with American Family and got that repaired.

About 2 months later, I woke up one morning to rain...and the sound of something dripping in the bathroom. Sure enough, the roof had sustained damage. We called the insurance company again. Since we already had a claim in for the car damage, it made things a little easier. They sent an inspector out a couple days later, and he basically said EVERYTHING had sustained hail damage on both the house and the garage--the roof, siding, gutters, awnings--as well as the roof on our little metal shed next to the garage. Since the siding/roof was so old, they paid for us to replace everything. We had the first check in hand within a week of submitting quotes to them and the second check within a week of the work being done, so I will wholeheartedly applaud them for helping us out so quickly.

However--getting the two banks (we had a second mortgage) to endorse the checks was a different story. Chase was okay. Bank of America was a NIGHTMARE to deal with. They held up the signature on that second check for months--every time I called them I got a different story. I ended up closing out a CD at the bank to pay off the contractors. I finally had to take two afternoons off work and go talk to a branch manager at the nearest B of A location, and even he got frustrated talking to customer service. The real cherry on top of the whole deal was that two days after the check cleared and I had money back in the bank, we had electrical problems pop up at the house that set us back almost $2k.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But we're not getting that "cold" in LA! We did have some snow the other day -- I think they said 3." Supposed to get cold again Tues., then warm up to 70's by Thurs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's been a hard, cold winter here. The last time it reached 30 degrees at my house was January 4th. Last Sunday, water poured into the new living room, due to an ice dam. (there's a major heat loss somewhere) According to my contractor, it will cost 3 to 4K to fix the damage. The adjuster is supposed to come on the 11th. The ice was 10 inches thick in some spots. It was tons of fun chopping and prying it off with a crow bar. I can't wait for spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Had all of 11c here in the UK yesterday but more frost forcaste next week managed to squeze a water change in quite nicely yesterday too :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question