"Politics" -- a rant [and NOT the presidential kind]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a rant -- I have to vent -- so you don't have to read on if you don't want to. I despise confrontation and try to avoid it, but as you know, sometimes it's inevitable!

I won't go into the boring details, but as some of you already know, I am a Boy Scout leader (yes, ladies can be BS leaders, too). Have been involved with Scouting for 15 years in various capacities [Cub Scouts, and several Troop positions], and have been with our Boy Scout troop for 10-something years. My son made Eagle Scout and aged out at 18, but I stayed in troop leadership and continue to be involved with troop activities as well as being active in OA. So that's the background.....

I have been ill since December, so haven't attended any of our troop leadership meetings [you'll see why this is important in a minute]. And I only occasionally receive troop emails..... The troop has been planning an activity that involves a specially trained instructor [ or Merit Badge Counselor]. It's going to happen this coming weekend. The problem is that no one in the troop [except me, apparently.....] KNEW that there were instructor requirements, so that was never addressed in their planning. Several weeks ago I texted one of the leaders [I saw an email regarding the activity] and asked who they were using as an instructor? This person didn't know, so I explained about the "MBC [Merit Badge Counselor] requirements," etc. I never got a response. I sent a reminder text, and the person explained about all the planning they'd done and that "it was adequate." I spoke to the Scout Master and got the same response.

At last night's troop meeting I pulled up a copy [thank goodness for smart phones] of the book [ Advancement Guide] that outlines requirements for trainers [not the merit badge requirements, but the ones that state the qualifications of the instructor and that outlines the rules of scouting]..... Boy, did I ruffle feathers! Accusations were flying as to why no one else knew about this "rule." Finally, one of the leaders implied that if the boys couldn't earn this merit badge [as promised to them], that it was my fault because I had not attended the planning meetings where I could have brought this up sooner -- he didn't really MEAN that, he was upset and frustrated. But my counter to this was that "all of the troop leaders need to be responsible for reading and knowing what's in the Advancement Guide," GEESH! No ONE person in the organizaion should be held responsible for the safety [etc.] of the youth [etc.]. I then texted them the link to the online version of the Guide.

In the meantime, I happen to know of someone who is a qualified instructor and was able to contact him -- he has agreed to help out this weekend, even on such short notice [bless his heart!]. So, immediate problem solved and the scouts will earn the merit badge [and it's all about the boys].

I could go on and on and on........ But I won't. My hubby always asks me WHY I continue to put myself in these troop-related situations. It's because I want to see a quality Scouting program that follows the BSA guidelines, and I want to see that the boys benefit. SOMEONE has to do it! Most leaders come & go as their sons age out, so there is very little continuity of leadership. And to top it off, the majority our troop leaders aren't even trained in their leadership roles, and that doesn't seem to bother anyone......?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
TM, I've been wondering where you were. Sorry you were sick, glad you seems to be feeling better!

Sorry about the frustration. I've experienced similar situation about the 'rule' quite often and its frustrating to have to explain all the time.

Reaction score
It's a rare thing not to have political differences in these meeting, even in the tiniest club or organization.
I took on a caretaking job for an organization that owned some property that required I live on the property with my family and attending club meetings. The first few years everything went smoothly, the guys running the club were great, laid back and easy to deal with, but the thing about these organizations is people come and go and every year new group of executives could get elected. From the beginning, there was a small group who always seemed to cause problems for the club and always wanted things their way and didn't get along with the laid back group that was running the club when I took on the job. Eventually, many of the laid back group started pulled away from running the club and the trouble makers started filling the executive positions, then meeting attendance fell off sharply because it was no fun anymore to be involved. That left me alone to fend with the trouble makers, and they did their best to make my life miserable. Long story short, I stuck it out for quite a few years hoping things would improve, but finally decided enough was enough and got my family and I out of that situation.
Most people are in these sorts of organizations because it's something they enjoy, when it's no longer enjoyable it's time to get out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
SOMEONE has to do it! Most leaders come & go as their sons age out, so there is very little continuity of leadership.
This is so true. I was a boy scout. Our troop leader decided to quit. The reason was never given. Also, nobody took his place. Boy scouts ended for my small town. I never received my last merit badge, either. 40 years later I still think about this. I felt like I was robbed of something that was important to me.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is so true. I was a boy scout. Our troop leader decided to quit. The reason was never given. Also, nobody took his place. Boy scouts ended for my small town. I never received my last merit badge, either. 40 years later I still think about this. I felt like I was robbed of something that was important to me.
Oh, I hate to hear that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear you've been ill, @Mmathis. I hope it's nothing too serious!

The scout situation must be incredibly frustrating. I can't stand it when people blame someone else for their own failings rather than step up and admit responsibility themselves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ahhh...my blood begins to simmer when I read your words! We experienced very similar things in our years with Little League Baseball. Eventually we were voted out, the troublemakers took over, and within a few years the program was destroyed.

I feel your pain. Please tell us that at least your health has improved!

Ask a Question