Pond algae problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a problem with green algae in my pond (no fish, no vegetation). Twenty years ago when the company built my pond and waterfall and has been maintaining it ever since, this company recommended putting a three inch chlorine tablet in the pond to deter algae. Over time, I have had many problems with the submersible pumps which almost always did not out live their warranties (only two in 20 years ). I recently had to have a pump replaced but the replacement pump (a Superior pimp) died after only three months. The new replacement pump (Little Giant) lasted only three weeks. The company who built and has maintained the pond and waterfall replaced this last pump with another Little Giant but will not honor the warranty on the new pump because they say it was corroded from the use of the chlorine tablets which I was using at their direction. Therefore, I did not put any chlorine tablets into the pond this time and only added an algaecide. Without the chlorine tablet (and with a healthy dose of algaecide), I had a massive built up of algae in the pond and on the pools of water on the waterfall WITHIN TWO WEEKS. Therefore, today, I drained the pond, scrubbed is as best I could with an industrial broom (the most I can do since I am over 80 with a severe balance problem and cannot climb up and over the waterfall to clean every pool or scrub every rock). DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS as to how to control the algae which becomes severe within one to two weeks after draining and cleaning the pond? Friends tell me that I should "SHOCK" the pond but that involves concentrated chlorine which the company that has maintained my pond NOW tells me would ruin the pump, especially since the "SHOCK" treatment would introduce massive amounts of chlorine, far above the levels from the chlorine tablets which they say is corroding my pumps (within 3 weeks?). SO AGAIN, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS as to how to control the algae which becomes severe within one to two weeks after draining and cleaning the pond? Perhaps a better algaecide than what I now am using.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You probably don’t want to hear this, but ponds are supposed to have some algae, as it’s part of the natural ecosystem. Is yours more of a water feature/ornamental pool? Might you be able to post a photo? Pehaps you need an external pump, like those used for swimming pools, so you can add the chlorine without causing corrosion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shade would help if your pond is in full sun. Plants would also help a great deal if you added some to the pond

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, you have posted before about this or a similar problem (I recall something about the pumps going out). Can you clarify, exactly how big is your pond? Please post some pictures of the pond and the area around your pond, including the waterfall.

Algae is normal in a pond. Any time you drain it and clean it, it’s going to come back. It’s just a normal part of an aquatic ecosystem, fish or no fish. If you added some natural plants to your water, the plants would help control the algae…..but you’d have to stop adding chlorine or algaecide. Have you thought about “pond dye”? I have never used it, but I believe that‘s the reason a lot of people do use it — algae control.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hydrogen Peroxide will kill the algae but you will have to scoop out the dead algae and I don't believe it will corrode anything using the food grade type. I've never used it but others here have, like @sissy and she even has fish in her pond.
I found this: https://pondwiki.com/hydrogen-peroxide-for-pond/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Not sure what you're after here, but it would seem that the company that you pay to keep your pond, would be on the hook for both green water, (algae) and bad pumps due to additives at their direction.
That said, I would think you may want some sort of pump/filter set up as swimming pools have. They don't seem to be affected by the added chemicals.
As for me, I would add a bog with plenty of plants. After a period of time, (usually one season) the water will be Chrystal clear and stay that way. And the flowering plants just add to the ambiance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No fish. No vegetation. You’re fighting a losing battle. Nature wants to fill voids - your pond is providing the void.

Algaecide may help but you’ll need to be on a regular schedule of application.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NO FISH NO PLANTS go salt but at a low level

Reaction score
Country
United States
You probably don’t want to hear this, but ponds are supposed to have some algae, as it’s part of the natural ecosystem. Is yours more of a water feature/ornamental pool? Might you be able to post a photo? Pehaps you need an external pump, like those used for swimming pools, so you can add the chlorine without causing corrosion.
Yes, my system is purely a water feature. No fish, no plants! Would it not be a major and expensive job to have my water feature replumed for an external pump and how exactly do I do that? What exactly would it take to do that? Does the water NOT go through the external swimming pool pumps? How do these external pumps work without being exposed to chlorine? I have inserted a photo of my water feature.

Attachments

• P0002539.JPG
    P0002539.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, you have posted before about this or a similar problem (I recall something about the pumps going out). Can you clarify, exactly how big is your pond? Please post some pictures of the pond and the area around your pond, including the waterfall.

Algae is normal in a pond. Any time you drain it and clean it, it’s going to come back. It’s just a normal part of an aquatic ecosystem, fish or no fish. If you added some natural plants to your water, the plants would help control the algae…..but you’d have to stop adding chlorine or algaecide. Have you thought about “pond dye”? I have never used it, but I believe that‘s the reason a lot of people do use it — algae control.
Yes, I recently have posted about submersible pond pumps lasting only a few weeks or couple of months. What plants should I add since there is no soil in the pond, only concrete? So how would I do that? I have inserted a photo of my water feature.

Attachments

• P0002539.JPG
    P0002539.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, in the marginal section it is roughly 12" in the center. I am slowly collecting the rocks. I did add a scrap piece of liner for the rocks to sit on.
Most of the plants in pots I got for free out of the ditches around here.
I also need to redo my bog filter next year. I just kinda threw it together lol

Ask a Question