Pond Beginner

M

MariaTeresa

CountryEscape, you are right, I forget the the pond is rather bare at the moment but won't be for long. I'll just place a plant in front of the tubing!

I debated the planting shelves when I was planning. I made them on the deep side to discourage the raccoons, but because I wanted plants I knew I had to risk that they would climb in using the pots. I thought about floating the pots...that way they'd begin to sink if a coon stepped on one...but I couldn't think of a way to do it. Last year I used twine attached to the pots and then secured to rocks around the edging, but I learned that twine does not hold up in water. Maybe fishing line? The pots were still able to flip, but wouldn't sink to the bottom. I'm hopping that the coons got dumped into the water enough last year that they've decided to stay away.

Priscilla--I spent a lot of time figuring out how I wanted to do the edging. I really wanted a more natural looking pond that would blend in, but that would have given too easy access to the coons. Instead I used Pennsylvania field stone, piled two layers and then flipped the liner back over onto the second layer and added a third layer. This makes it so the water level is up above the first layers of rock. I like how it came out.

I spent a lot of time searching the internet for anything about using solar for a pond and found very very little...just those tiny solar fountains. Everywhere said that it couldn't be done. There are drawbacks: the solar panels don't exactly add to the appearance of the garden, the pump is half as powerful as it should be for the size of the pond, and using a bilge pump means replacing it every 3-6 months (although they are cheap). On the positive side, sunlight is free and usually abundant, there are no wires running through the garden that I have to watch out for, and it is was a lot of fun figuring out how to make it work!

M

MariaTeresa

Not sure where to ask this so I'll just stick it here.

Any ideas as to what temperature the water should be before I return the baby goldfish to the pond? What about adding new fish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the fish have been in water that is close to the pond water temperature you could add them. If they have been in a lot warmer water, I would wait.

I just added fish, my pond is 57, their water was mid 50's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have goldfish in my aquarium in the house, and think my pond water is about 55-60 degrees. I could add them now, just need to take about an hour to adjust them to the new water, slowly, about every 5 minutes, using a 3.5 gallon bucket. But, I'm not ready to let them go outside yet. LOL New ones I got at the pet store I put in the pond the same night. No problems at all.
As far as new fish, I assume you are talking about acquiring new ones to add to the ones you had inside? Quarantine period is 30 days, and is recommended.
Oh, and ponders on this forum have made floating planter rings that are really easy to make, and may help you figure out your raccoon issue. Use those pool "noodles", I think you use a piece of old hose to hold them together. Then buy some screen in a roll, cut the size for your pot, "sew" it with fishing line onto the floating noodle ring and plop your pot into it. Others have used pieces of board styrofoam (it's great to repurpose from packing boxes ..) and cut a hole to put the pot in. Some have even made floating islands with several pots in them. I believe Addy and JW both have floating pot holders. They will chime in. ;)
Maria, I have the issue of not thinking my pond through the first time, and have liner showing all the way around the edge. I made a narrow shelf, thinking I could put rocks on it, but the shelf is too narrow, and even flat stones on edge don't stay put most often. Second pond was done more like I wanted the first one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome aboard! You have a beautiful pond, I like how you've done the waterfall feature :)

M

MariaTeresa

Becky-- Thank you! Unfortunately my pump broke yesterday. I'm finding that bilge pumps just can't handle life as a pond pump. For now the waterfall is waterless, until I figure out my pump dilemma.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and glad you joined and shared your failure and success .I lived in NJ most of my life before retiring to VA .Edison was the last house but i grew up in somerset County

Ask a Question