Pond Breather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
-19 C or -2 F tonight and tomorrow, pond breather that I ordered before Christmas still back ordered until March 12th from Dr. Foster's (might get it in time to start up pond in the spring) hopefully my bubbler will keep the gases flowing through this cold spell, foot of snow on top of entire pond as well.....fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@BlueOrca , You are in the same boat as I am. I can't figure out why the pond breather is always back ordered...is it popular, or are there problems with the manufacturer ? At any rate, I too am hopeful, my bubbler and deicer will add O2 to the pond and keep a hole open for gas exchange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I decided not to worry about my air line freezing up again and late in December, bought a pond breather from Blaine Farm supply. They show available stock at $52, if you're interested. Blaine shipped promptly and I got it in while my hole in the ice was still thin. Probably have to melt a hole now, though, but at least there's a supply for those interested.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/531773-allied-precision-pond-breather.html#.VOWLGyhR9KM

Thank you, just ordered 2 from there, supposed to arrive in 10 days.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Uggggg, update......never mind!

"This message is to notify you that your order with Blain's Farm & Fleet has been cancelled. An order cancellation can occur by your request or automatically due to insufficient inventory to fulfill your order."

I'll look into a pond breather next winter.....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We probably increased their sales by a bunch, I bought two, but in the spring last year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I doubt it was because of this forum.
I think the design and function just make sense - both from a power consumption viewpoint and effectiveness viewpoint.
I haven't come across a single negative aspect of them yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought one but it came in so late in the season I decided to wait until next year to use it. So far with my pond deicer and air stones I have had no trouble keeping an opening in the water. We have even had several days with below zero temperatures.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@MitchM
How do you store your breathers? do you keep the small pump in water or just pull clean and put away until next winter.

I found two live shubunkins in a small preform that froze to the bottom. How did they survive?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
@MitchM
How do you store your breathers? do you keep the small pump in water or just pull clean and put away until next winter.

I found two live shubunkins in a small preform that froze to the bottom. How did they survive?

I live in NJ and we just had the worst winter I think ever. I live all the way in North Jersey and we hit consistent below zero temps for quite some time. In the fall I placed 2 pond breathers on each side of the pond. I have 4 approximately 20 inch Koi and 5 Comets. The breathers never stopped functioning per-se but they stopped doing what they were supposed to do and thats keeping holes in the ice. I also treated the pond every month with Arctic bacteria that lived in water under 40 degrees. Im not sure if the breathers functioned enough to expel the ammonia gases from the water or if the bacteria really kept the ammonia gasses to a minimum or a mixture of both. After the pond unfroze with the 3 feet of snow ontop of the ice all my fish are alive and now starting to swim around slowly. Im grateful and I will continue to do the same next year. By the way my pond is approximately 3.5ft deep

Last edited:

Ask a Question