Pond Build! Upgrading from 400 gallons to 2000 gallons. With Bottom Drain.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your new patio looks great! Nice looking plants you picked out for around the pond too. I have one of those weeping trees and I made it grow up taller before I allowed it to weep. Just staked it up as I needed it to fill in a tall corner area. Love that tree:
IMG_6038.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks guys!

j.w., I'm in the process of un-weeping the tree. I also want it taller before weeping. The wood felt too stiff to bend much further up than I have it. I'll raise it a little bit taller each week our so until I get a new curl in the trunk. The trunk is basically shaped like a bunch of stacked letter s's. So I'm going to add another c on top basically.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well RobAmy, you're right! I'm finally able to relax by it!!

20140627_193849-XL.jpg

It's pretty much finished up now. I still need to work on water chemistry, plant a couple more plants, and plant a ton of grass seed in the yard, but tonight is the first time I've officially been able to relax by the new pond! Ahhhhhhhhh... [sigh of relief]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I FINALLY got my yard cleaned up and my grass cut! My neighbors were nice enough to tell me that the state of my yard didn't bother them, but I know they're happy to see it cleaned up!

I think that's about all I really did today to finish up the pond. I just couldn't consider the pond done until the yard was done too...

Here are a few pictures. They're not much different than the ones I posted a few days ago though.

20140627_193924-XL.jpg

20140627_193938-XL.jpg

20140627_193949-XL.jpg

I can't believe how quickly the creeping Jenny is growing in my stream!

20140627_201359-XL.jpg

20140627_193909-XL.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What all did you glue your rocks together with for your pots .i see you mentioned silicon but what else .I love them .I love your rock wall it really adds to the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
What all did you glue your rocks together with for your pots .i see you mentioned silicon but what else .I love them .I love your rock wall it really adds to the pond

I literally used only 100% silicone caulking to glue them together. Just a little dab between the rocks, and then squish them together. One thing I didn't mention or show pictures of was my first attempt at building the second pot (circular one using the smaller flat river stones). I put way too much caulking on and when I squeezed the rocks on, the caulking squeezed out. I didn't notice how bad it looked until I had a couple rows of stones glued in place. I had to discard that one, and start over. I used smaller dabs obviously, and I also positioned the dab of caulking on the inside of the row of stones, so if any squeezed out, it would be on the inside where you wouldn't see it.

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm aware of the downsides to rocking in a pond. But, it'll work a whole hell of a lot better than no bottom drain at all. I'd rather have no pond than a liner-only pond. No offense intended to those who don't have their ponds rocked in, but I find them ugly as sin. I've seen well-established ponds with liners that are covered in algae and whatnot, and I still really dislike the look, although it's better than a brand new liner-only pond granted. I'd much rather have the increased maintenance of a rocked in pond than to be stuck staring into a pond I hate the look of...

Thanks for the reply though!
Amen brother max384. I am nervous to post pics of my pond progress cause of the anti-rockers of the world. I had one dude say "nifty rocks but why?" I thought that was rude to say. Did he really not know why someone would put rocks in a pond or was he being facetious? I'm just a newbie so who am I to be brazen. I have friends with mature rocked ponds and their are just fine!! Like 5-10 years old fine!

Reaction score
Okay, well, I haven't updated here in awhile, because I haven't done much since I'm busy with yet another round of exams. I'm done with exams for a few months after this Friday... But I'm leaving for two weeks for my annual summer training with the army national guard, so I won't be getting much done. We're doing our training only about 90 miles away though, so maybe I'll be able to pop back in a time or two and get some work done now that I won't have studying looming over me.

Anyhow, I FINALLY got the leaking problem under control. It turned out to be a combination of too much splashing from the waterfall and the line was pinched on one edge allowing some water to leak out. It leaked into the stones and mulch, so I didn't notice the wetness right away. I decided to do away with the waterfall and just have a creek, and it's been running for two days straight now with only about 1/2" drop in water level, which I'd say can be explained by evaporation alone in a pond with a creek and about 150 square feet of water area. So I'm happy about this!

I also put together a couple of pots out of rock and stones for some plants. Here is my post from another thread on here about potting options:

Today I finally got around to putting together some stone pots. The larger one is for my lily pads. This was my first attempt at it. It turned out okay. I think once it is in the water and the plant is in and covered with gravel, it'll look nice. But, it's going to be about 18" underwater anyhow, so the depth should hide the imperfections.

My second attempt turned out great, if I may say so myself! It is the smaller round one. This one will house my Yerba mansa, which will be in my shallow basking area, so I really wanted an attractive pot, since the top of the pot will be just about at the water level.

20140610_160716-XL.jpg

The first and larger one was done using a few extra flat rocks I had laying around. I roughly fit them together, glued them with 100% silicone caulking, and then filled in the crevices with some smaller stones that were caulked into place. I'll see if this is going to be a permanent fixture or just a temporary housing after I see how it looks in the water with the plant inside. I have a feeling it will be replaced though.

20140610_160724-XL.jpg

The second one was done by picking out a bunch of flat river stones out of the stone around the edge of the pone. These stones are in the 1-2" size range. They were then glued around the edge of a flat rock in a roughly circular pattern. They were glued in again with 100% silicone caulking. I didn't worry much about the caulking showing on the inside, but I tried to keep it clean on the outside that will be visible.

20140610_160729-XL.jpg

It really turned out pretty nice once I put the plant inside and topped it off with some pea gravel with some slightly larger flatter stones on top.

20140610_161242-XL.jpg

I'll update with pictures once the caulking dries completely and I get them in the pond.

Ah another solution to not seeing un-natural things in the bottom of the pond!! I wanted lilies but not the pot!!! Thanks I hope mind turn our as nice. Hope it won't take to long or is to heavy for me to pick up! What level of water with these be in?

Reaction score
Awesome job!!! You have inspired me to move on, slowly but surely it will get there!!!! Hope all goes well and look forward to see more updates. I think my neighbors think I'm some sort of hillbilly by the looks of my back yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Awesome job!!! You have inspired me to move on, slowly but surely it will get there!!!! Hope all goes well and look forward to see more updates. I think my neighbors think I'm some sort of hillbilly by the looks of my back yard.

Thanks!

My yard looked like something Joe Dirt would be proud to call his back yard. All I was missing was an I-ROC without an engine sitting in the yard on blocks. I was VERY happy to finally have the yard cleaned up and the grass cut...

Ah another solution to not seeing un-natural things in the bottom of the pond!! I wanted lilies but not the pot!!! Thanks I hope mind turn our as nice. Hope it won't take to long or is to heavy for me to pick up! What level of water with these be in?

The small round pot is about two inches below water. The larger pot is about 18 inches below water (from the top of Rhett pot).

Amen brother max384. I am nervous to post pics of my pond progress cause of the anti-rockers of the world. I had one dude say "nifty rocks but why?" I thought that was rude to say. Did he really not know why someone would put rocks in a pond or was he being facetious? I'm just a newbie so who am I to be brazen. I have friends with mature rocked ponds and their are just fine!! Like 5-10 years old fine!

Nobody truly wonders why. That's a thinly veiled snide comment plain as day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just got back from my weeklong Maine camping trip. All the fish are alive and well (had someone feeding them) and the pond is doing well. I put some grass seed down in my yard on the many bare spots from construction. I really wish I had done this before I left for my vacation though...

Anyhow, today I put in a hosta to hide the skimmer a bit better, a contorted filbert to fill in the gap between my Hinoki false cypress and maple tree, and a Japanese lantern because I love the look of them by a pond.

20140707_203552-XL.jpg

20140707_203615-XL.jpg

20140707_203646-XL.jpg

20140707_203702-XL.jpg

20140707_203713-XL.jpg

I'm really happy with the progress... but I really need a good year for everything to mature and really fill in... Ah yes, the waiting game!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I just got back from my weeklong Maine camping trip. All the fish are alive and well (had someone feeding them) and the pond is doing well. I put some grass seed down in my yard on the many bare spots from construction. I really wish I had done this before I left for my vacation though...

Anyhow, today I put in a hosta to hide the skimmer a bit better, a contorted filbert to fill in the gap between my Hinoki false cypress and maple tree, and a Japanese lantern because I love the look of them by a pond.

20140707_203552-XL.jpg

20140707_203615-XL.jpg

20140707_203646-XL.jpg

20140707_203702-XL.jpg

20140707_203713-XL.jpg

I'm really happy with the progress... but I really need a good year for everything to mature and really fill in... Ah yes, the waiting game!
Love the Japanese lantern! (y)

Ask a Question