Pond chore report

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a-5b
Country
Canada
@Louisa - nothing murky or stinky about my pond! My water smells so good I'm always making my husband smell my arm when I get out. It smells exactly like when I've been swimming in my favorite lake! He agrees with me, but still thinks I'm a nut!
Sorry Lisa, I was referring to the original poster bagsmom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
BarbO -- I really wanted to! I wasn't really too worried about arms and legs and stuff. No boo-boos for junk to get in. But my discomfort went up as the water level went up my body. I'm more cautious with some parts than others! ;)
And Great Goldfish, did I stink! The clothes were gross afterwards. I skipped the Clorox on my skin, but did use on the pond outfit! Today I'm going out to repot the lily. The pond looks great after my clean-up. Getting the crud out of the bottom by stirring it up (and letting the skimmer filter clean it out) worked really well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@bagsmom - sounds like you need to get in there more often! In all honesty, nothing in my pond stinks and I can get in, get wet, let myself dry off and keep working. Nothing gross about it. Now that lily you're about to re-pot... that thing will stink!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@bagsmom - sounds like you need to get in there more often! In all honesty, nothing in my pond stinks and I can get in, get wet, let myself dry off and keep working. Nothing gross about it. Now that lily you're about to re-pot... that thing will stink!
You are probably right. Normally, it's fine. I can get in and do basic chores in the knee deep areas. I think it was mostly because I was moving those big pots off the very bottom in the deep section. A lot of stuff had settled down under the pots because the bottom slopes slightly. If I hadn't been lifting and moving pots, I think it would have been fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I got out today to divide and repot the lily that was busting out of the planter bag. That was a fascinating process! I was shocked at how much it had grown. The "bulb was about a foot long and gnarly - looked like a petrified colon or something -- with TONS of long white roots. One third of the bulb seemed hard and dead - totally dark with no growth. The other two thirds I divided in two pieces. Took forever to untangle, hose off and trim. I planted one in an oil pan in kitty litter. The other one, I think I'll give to my Dad eventually. Do you know if it should be ok without any planting medium? For now, it is in a planter bag with a couple rocks to hold it down. The white roots are all exposed. Will it die that way? Or be OK till Spring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got out today to divide and repot the lily that was busting out of the planter bag. That was a fascinating process! I was shocked at how much it had grown. The "bulb was about a foot long and gnarly - looked like a petrified colon or something -- with TONS of long white roots. One third of the bulb seemed hard and dead - totally dark with no growth. The other two thirds I divided in two pieces. Took forever to untangle, hose off and trim. I planted one in an oil pan in kitty litter. The other one, I think I'll give to my Dad eventually. Do you know if it should be ok without any planting medium? For now, it is in a planter bag with a couple rocks to hold it down. The white roots are all exposed. Will it die that way? Or be OK till Spring?
Thanks again, it seems I'm still learning, you have a bulb that looks like a petrified colon, @MitchM had leeches. How in the world can I now sent my beloved teen into the pond, my conscience just wouldn't cope. Looks like I have to plan a new strategy. @sissy there is no teen abuse here after all.

Ask a Question