pond coverage

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
$100.00 will build you a filter i guarentee you can use your pump with... cleans just as easy if not easier than either pressure filter. and will work as well if not better. a 30 gal filter flushed once a week will be your water change as well..10% as is the norm for weekly changes. you can build it in an hour or so. flush the filter, drop the hose in the pond refill...that easy.... i have never cleaned my media...just flushes, and never have any water quality problems. and i am by definition way overstocked....

rdk

Reaction score
I have 5 goldfish two medium size 3 small ( 3"] The pond is in ground rubber lined rectangle with waterfall that runs well and strong. If I was to do it myself I like your plans the best. If was was to buy a unit I would now save up and buy the very expensive laguna unit and first try my old pump on it and see what happens If it does't work I can always buy a stronger pump latter. In any case now I can wait until winter before I decide. It is 50% sun 50% shade.

rdk

Reaction score
Would a plain rubber 35 gal garbage can work as well as a plastic barrel? For a Bio- Filter Thank you

Reaction score
they've got to much flex typically. Barrels have sturdier/harder sides. You're better off starting with a barrel. You can usually get 'em for free at your local carwash. Car soap comes in these barrels. Go ask and see if they'll "give" you one.

rdk

Reaction score
I decided to make the barrel filter using koikeepr's plans. I friend of mine who will help me make this thing.fixed my problem why I did not want it. I will plant boxwood around it. Three questions. You use a spigget to empty the water. Can I just put a hose on the end of the spigget? I need to place the barrel 7 feet from the pond do you think my 500gal per hour pump will work? also do I only need two matala mats in the barrel? Thank you so much for your help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
rdk said:
I decided to make the barrel filter using koikeepr's plans. I friend of mine who will help me make this thing.fixed my problem why I did not want it. I will plant boxwood around it. Three questions. You use a spigget to empty the water. Can I just put a hose on the end of the spigget? I need to place the barrel 7 feet from the pond do you think my 500gal per hour pump will work? also do I only need two matala mats in the barrel? Thank you so much for your help.

You have to use a 2" dump valve to get the flush for cleaning, a spigot is too slow.
You can locate your barrel away with no problem
I don't know about these mats, I use 7000 small tubes cut 1 1/2" long from 1/2" irrigation line.

http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html

Reaction score
He's referring to my 2" dump valve as a spigot, I think. But yes RDK, you can attach a hose to it at the end so the water can go wherever you need it to.

Before you build it, help me understand your answers to these questions:

what have you decided on the size of the barrel you're building?

Is this 500 gph pump the one that you expect to work this whole thing?

Give me the specs on your pond once more. Also, how many fish do you have.

Where will the barrel be sitting in relation to your barrel? Will your barrel be above the water line or somewhere below (in otherwords, I am asking if you have gravity in play here or not)?

Based on your answers here, I will tell you how to slightly modify my barrel to suit your situation.

rdk

Reaction score
I am planing to get the 30 gal plastic barrel with open top or closed to and cut it off? Is this right? Yes 500 gal per hour to run everything. 4' by 7' Broken down as one 24" deep by 24"square, shelf area 10" deep 4' by 2', the rest 3' by 4' + 2' by 2'. Does this make 300 gals Did I do my figuring right. I am not sure right now. The barrel is above ground. However it must be 7 feet away for the pond.

Reaction score
I'm baffled by how you are breaking down your dimensions. Are you saying that the overall size is 7 feet long, 4 feet wide with the max depth being 2 feet deep? But to account for your shelf area, let's call the max 2 feet deep, but the average 1.5' deep. Does that sound more or less correct?

If so, we're roughly talking 314 gallons--so you're guess at gallonage is just about right. That would mean, to turn over the water once every 1.5 hours, you'd need a pump of about 209 GPH. So, your 500 gallon pump can handle this situation perfectly.

Ok, so your barrel will be above ground. so you do not have gravity in the equation. The reason I asked this is because in the case of a barrel that is at water level there is no chance for overflow because water finds its own natural level. So, let's say something got clogged. In my case my barrel would never overflow because the top of my barrel is a few inches higher than the top of my pond surface. In your case, it could, so the one thing I would add to your barrel is an emergency overflow pipe. This could be a very simple hose attached to the upper region of the barrel (let's say 3" from the top), so that if the water ever went that high, the water would pour back into your pond and not overflow out of the barrel (thus emptying your pond accidentally). Does that make sense to you?

Make that emergency pipe at least 1 1/2" in diameter if you can. 2" would be even better.

2 matala mats are more than enough for your situation. Get the black and the green one as I described in my post. The other colors are way too fine for a barrel in my opinion. On top of the matala mats you can put whatever you want in terms of more bio media. If you're gonna go with balls, ribbon or pieces of PVC pipe just make sure you put all that in a mesh laundry bag so that they are easy to remove. I use the bacti-twist. You would not need more than 1 bag of that if you want to go ahead and buy it. I think I paid $15 bucks for that at thepondoutlet.com, and it's excellent media. It's basically large PVC shavings (make sure to buy the black shavings, not the white). Great thing about it is that you simply give it a shake and all the crud falls right off and you just stuff it right back in your barrel. No fuss, no muss. And it already comes in a bag, so you don't have to buy that.

You can see more info on my barrel at my website, www.pondmutt.com. The direct link to the barrel making page is here. I also have links to lots of other barrel/flower pot designs in my DIY section. In some of those other ones, you will see that overflow pipe I mention.

Let me know if any of this was too confusing or didn't make sense.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would pass on the matala pads. they cost way to much money..cut to fit furnace filter pads, scrubbies, irrigation tube,etc.. for what you'll spend on 2 matala pads you can FILL the barrel with any of these other medias...you put in 2 matalas you'll still need alot of media. and double the cost of filling it.

Reaction score
matala mats might be a bit pricey on the front end, but they will last forever and a longterm investment. I think mine were $22 each with free shipping. The bacti-twist is only $15 bucks for the bag. I was going to buy strapping on ebay, but it ended up being more expensive than the bactitwist, plus btwist is another thing that will last forever since it's PVC. Plus, None of these things are as heavy as having to yank out a bag of scrubbies either.

But each one of us puts what they want or have easy access to in our barrels. I've pretty much tried 'em all and what I'm using right now has worked the best for me. Once a month I simply give my btwist bag a simple shake and any crud falls off it and I stuff it back in the barrel, And the matala is made in such a way that when I flush my barrel, the crap just falls right off of it. Very easy to maintain. Of course, that's my personal opinion with my particular setup. To each his own with their own barrel, and if you need cheaper stuffing for your barrel I totally understand it. I chose what I chose because it provided lots of area for bacteria to colonize and I would never need to think about replacing it. You can pay upfront or you can pay later...

Ask a Question