pond coverage

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Koikeepr I'm curious, you have in your signature: 20 years keeping fish. 5 years were spent in aquaculture industry. I don't think many people can relate to aquaculture and what it really is.

How many years with actual ponds and your own Koi do you have experience with?

Reaction score
Interesting I'm being tested suddenly for experience....

Well, here it is. I've had any number of indoor fish tanks for probably 30 years, actually. I've had outdoor ponds for 10 years...probably 11...always with koi...actually, the first year was goldfish, but then I saw koi and I was hooked.

Since I've had ponds, I no longer have indoor tanks as it's just too much work to have both. I am considering again having one indoor tank to bring some of the outdoor fish in for breeding or hospital tank purposes. Undecided on that of yet. But I will have another 4,000 gal pond this spring come hell or high water....my main pond is just too overstocked.

In terms of aquaculture, I spent 5 years working at a university with an aquaculture program that was essentially researching the protection/care of domestic freshwater species of fish, shellfish and plants. My job was to keep everything alive and assist the researchers in any way they needed. Dealing with illnesses was the most fun, and I often had to contact other aquaculture programs around the country to see what they knew about specific parasites, bacterias and other diseases we had spotted.

Oh, and I also spent all of highschool and my first year of college working at a aquarium shop for tropicals. This included the interesting task of going to customers apartments (in manhattan) to clean and maintain their fresh and marine tanks. (I can't tell you the things I saw in people's homes!) Totally forgot about this, too....I guess because it was a very long, long, looooooooong time ago. But fish have been a hobby for me since I was a very young child.

Actually, animals in general have been a big interest for me since I was a tot. I've pretty much owned most any type of animal over my life, rats (gotten from the college animal research lab), gerbils, hamsters, chickens, any variety of reptile, turtles, cats, rabbits, had a african gray parrot (ex-hubby got her in the settlement), I hand-tamed and sold a variety of parrots (but particularly conures), cared for a number of pigeons that were hurt or sick (my favorite was missing a foot, but kept coming back even after I released him), and lots of dogs over the years (my 160 pound English Mastiff, Riley, died last year of cancer). We're thinking a Schnauzer next...

Hope that helps. After all this time, I have plenty to learn and love the fact that I can be on sites such as this one and get a new shred of info to add to my brain files. There's something new or different I haven't heard about nearly every day...that's why I love pond keeping.

What can you tell us about your 41 years with fish, doc. Perhaps we can all contribute here was our experiences have been with fish?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. You were not being tested. Many of us were not sure what the aquaculture business was and it is nice to get this insight. Most folks do this in their introduction, which we recommend. I don't recall you doing one.

I have almost 2500 posts telling about all my experience and 5 web sites, all cross linked that pretty much says it all. You will find more than you hoped for by perusing these.

As for career, I started out as an Apprentice Tool & Diemaker and worked my way up to Vice President of a corproration. Many of my jobs required a Top Secret security clearance and cannot be discussed.

It is advisable that when giving advice in the future, you have experience or scientific data to support your position. You cannot be an expert in everything. Example; plastic, no matter the thickness is brittle as glass when frozen. People rely on our accuracy when they buy materials and build their systems.

Reaction score
the question of an exploding plastic object if frozen in question was a skimmer--which is not fully closed in any way. There is plenty of room in a skimmer for water (even frozen) to expand and not pop the skimmer. It is, after all, basically an open container. Though I don't disagree that plastic is brittle when cold, I did say that it was unlikely and not that it was impossible. Therefore, that is why I suggested that the person empty their skimmer.

Any closed object that can retain water in it in cold temps, such as a hose line or sealed container where the water/ice cannot expand properly--will undoubtedly potentially pop its container to expand. Thusly, I stand on my answer based purely on science. If I can be shown an example of a skimmer bursting in the winter, I will gladly eat my words. I'm not saying its impossible, but I think it would be highly rare--nonetheless, my suggestion was for the writer to empty it just in case.

I have never claimed to be an expert in everything, and in no way respond to every post on this site--particularly when there are other "experts" who are more qualified or eloquent to respond.

Hmmmm...Is it just me, or is it hot in here?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
feel i have to say something ...dont know about being hot in here ...it seems pretty frostie over the last couple of days !! i thought the object of this site was to gain knowledge and to pass on to others any tips that have worked for people on there own ponds ....also maybe to make some kinda friends on the way ...please dont let this site get spoilt ...we cant agree on everything but all have a right to voice there views :)
please delete this post if you think i should just keep out of it !!

Ask a Question