Pond Dye Downside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Previous posts put pond at 2000 gallons. Not sure how many adult koi you have but rehoming some of the adults would help with water quality. Those big koi put out a lot of waste! As soon as things start getting a little more normal, my big boys will be going to new homes
I recalculated...took out the bog volume. There are about 8 really big koi. I've had them for 15 years. So it would be tough for me to re-home them. I'm not as attached to some of the others, especially the babies. I am looking for homes for the growing fry. I'm going to try to increase aeration, along with planting the bog. Thanks for your comment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think anyone has to tell you that your pond is overstocked. It's going to be a challenge to keep your pond clear of algae with too many fish, but more plants will help. The bigger concern is the health of the fish, though.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've got 7 adult koi (several 30+") and a dozen 6-10" in 4200 gallons. 150 gallon bog , 4 window box bogs and 2 filters and I'm having to work hard to keep water quality good. Fish are just now starting to get food as there are no plants in the pond and no algae left. 5 adults will be going as soon as restrictions are lifted. I would rather rehome than to have them get sick and die. I have had the big ones 12 years or longer.

Ask a Question