Pond Dye

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
Don't know if this question has been asked but has anyone ever used Pond Dye in their ponds???

Joylaine

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep make that mistake as it was on sale .I had blue arms and hands everytime I put my hands in the water or cleaned the filter and if you do regular 10% water change outs it goes away fast .I guess it may work in shading the pond to keep algae away but not much ,plus don't like looking at blue tinted fish .It looks good though in a pondless water fall and looks good if you don't have fish

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I have never used it, but my uncle does every spring, he says it works good to block the sun and stop that initial algae bloom of the spring, by the time the blue fades, the plants have established and are growing well.

He also drains his pond and takes his fish inside very year.... so he is always cycling his pond in the spring when he adds that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am currently using it untill I get my top water plants and other plants i have planted around the pond growing to give shade. i dont really like it but it does keep the UV light of the fish and has kept the algea somewhat undercontrol. You cant see the bottom of the pond either and i do not like that.

Reaction score
I have used a blend of black and blue dyes to limit sunlight penetration in early spring and throughout the summer since my pond is in full sun. With the proper dosage you should still be able to see your fish and not stain yourself. Read the directions before using for best results. My pond is 8' feet deep and I can still see my Koi. I am using a dye that also contains beneficial bacteria, so I'm cleaning the pond as well as preventing algae growth.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomewagon-15.gif

Bill to our group.
Mine is full sun, sun rise to sun set, no algae issues, but have one huge bog filtering it. I have never used the dye

Ask a Question