Pond-edge herbs to attract frogs (and deter slugs)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, newby here.

I have a tiny garden pond - it used to attract frogs, but I've had nothing for years, sadly.

So, I want to do something to attract them back. There are no plants around the pond edge, so I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to plant.

If I could plant herbs that I could also use in the kitchen, so much the better.

I also suffer with slugs and snails in my garden, so I'm really looking for plants that they won't be interested in

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Frogs are attracted to water and places where they can catch bugs... they could care less what plants you have, unless they make catching bugs easier.

And in our climate, snails and slugs are attracted to moisture... so anything that creates a damp environment - like plants around a pond edge - is sure to attract them. There are natural remedies you can use - I've used ammonia for slugs around my hostas or beer in a shallow dish to catch and drown them). I've also used diatomaceous earth for slug control - they can't survive crawling over it - but you do have to reapply frequently. Or you can find products in the garden center to control them.

Long story short - grow anything you want around the edge of your pond. Maybe the frogs will return and maybe the lack them is caused by something outside of your control completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thyme can help to control slugs, they do not like the scent, lots of different varieties and a good edging plant. Have no idea if that would help or hurt frogs, I dont think it would make a difference.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomefrogs24.gif
@andie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for your replies, everyone. They're really helpful. I'm off to buy some thyme!

Ask a Question