Pond Equipment Frustration

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help guys, slowly getting there...

Heres an update...

Firstly i ran the pump and fountain without the use of the filter, it still cut out after 30 mins. So maybe we can rule out the filter is not the problem?

The pump is a titan 3000, i cleared the outside case of the pump, checked none of the pipes were clogged, also opened up the titan, there was hardly problems inside the pump to do with dirt/clogging.

There was not much inside a titan besides a small electical box attached to a small fan system. I didnt want to pull at it too much, so i just checked the fan rotated around and there was no clogging.

I have now connected the system back together, and it still suffers a power problem..

I have found out that the pump is from 2007, incidently the same pump broke down and hozelock offered them a replacement model...

Time to think about getting a new pump? or a service on it to try and find the fault?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
you need to pull what your calling a fan out from its casing and clean it and the whole where the propeller was ... they get real clogged up with muck ... but as you say it might be too late and its past its best titan no longer make those pumps here in the uk but there are still some around ...if not you could try a laguna maxi good pumps

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Such a shame all that money on a pump and it fails .Maybe you can sell it to someone who has one and may need it for parts, you never know .I know you did not buy the pump but someone put out good money for it and some of the parts may be usable .good luck

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, take it apart till you get to the impeller. Make sure there isn't string algae binding it. If it is still failing then your 4 year old pump has likely died of old age.

Reaction score
Very weird. Maybe try plugging into another power source temporarily. Or....Is this the kind of filter you can back flush like a swimming pool?
These are my only guesses.
You have my brain turning now LOL
Good luck

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my breaker was overheating and my son said they can go bad after awhile or are defective and are a cheap fix and easly checked as you can turn the pump on and feel the breaker warm or hot bad breaker .I just asked him and he said if it is plugged in check outlet for damage as plugging and unplugging can loosen the insides of them or damage them .They don't make things like they used to

Reaction score
Thanks, I did get down to the impeller, and i saw no string of algae, it was very clean and tidy in there, i also gave the impeller a little pull but it felt like it was connected with elastic, and without any instructions to hand I didnt want risk breaking it.

I will look up some information tonight, and see if I can strip the pump down any futher..

I do have a question about the power outlet just incase I do go out and buy a new pump, anyone have much knowledge about this type of connection, and how I would "plug" a new filter into it.

2u8dm6x.jpg

And too Sissy, yes it does seem very sad, they guy did spend out a great deal as he looked after Koi's, Im sure he must of sold them though.

We also have the old titan pump that broke originally in the garage in a box, which now may include the titan thats in the pond currently. I also found an envelope of small parts which he may of been planning to fix on the pump but never got around to doing. Its all a bit of puzzle really.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Are you able to disconnect the pump completely from your pond? If so, you might want to try taking the pump somewhere else (like maybe a full bathtub?) and running it there. Try and see how hot the pump gets while it is running. The website says this pump has a thermal fuse on it, so overheating is definitely likely.

That pump is rated for 3000 liters/hour, or 660 gallons/hour. That is a pretty small pump for ponds, and not expensive to replace. I just checked prices for a similar Laguna brand pump, and you can get a 600GPH for around $80, or a 900GPH for about $85. You would probably pay at least that much to have someone come out and try to service the pump for you, so it would be more economical to just get a new pump.

Don't get too frustrated with the pond. You are trying to decipher someone else's setup, which can be a challenge in itself. The good news is you've found this forum, and there are a lot of people who can help you work it out. We'll have you up and running in no time, and your hands-on experience will help tremendously the next time there is a problem.

If I may ask, could we get some info on what size your pond is? That pump and filter seems awfully tiny for a pond large enough to hold 9 fish, and if you end up replacing your pump anyway, you might as well get something properly rated to ensure the health of the fish.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That elastic feel is the magnetic pull on the impeller. Just beware of any bushing on the end that might get lost. Some have this as a centering device for the impeller shaft.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Wow, lots of replies while I was typing!

Ferrara - that power connection looks like it may be directly wiring, in which case you will need to turn off the circuit breaker before attempting to disconnect it (and only if you are familiar with electrical wiring!). One thing that concerns me is that setup makes it very easy for water to get into it. Make sure there is some kind of rubber or silicon seal where the cord goes into the white plastic connector. If you have any doubts that it is water-tight, then you may have water built up inside the electrical box, and that too could be causing your problem with the power shutting off.

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn thanks for the kind words, and everyone on this forum is great help!

I really do love having a pond feature in the garden and I do really want to look after the fish that were left, in all honesty I was expecting to move house with an empty pond, and starting from scratch.

I have no clue about the pond size, would it help if i took a photo? all i can say is that it looks average to the tubs you find in water aquatic shops in a figure of 8 style.

Also Dr Dave glad you told me that it's magnetic, I will defo double check tommorow.

Reaction score
yeah i have a feeling its direct wiring which makes me completely useless at setting up any new pump system which I may buy in the near future.

The electrics run under ground into the garage to a single plug which control currently the pump and the filter.

But like you mentioned the system isnt very well protected from the outside weather conditions, so i have mixed emotions if its the pump or the power causing the problems.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is an old fashion hard wire and was done wrong no wire should be hard wired down as water will have get in .If there is a rubber washer to keep water from getting in it has since probably dryed out I would diffently get that rewired as the rust on it says one word hazard and it is to close to the ground also .I have not seen wiring done like this since the 1960's and even then it was not done this close to the ground .You may want to be careful as shock hazard It looks like a do it your self job

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
A picture of the pond, and measurements for length, width, and depth, will help determine an approximate capacity in either liters or gallons (whichever measurement you are more comfortable with).

And I agree with sissy that the wiring was done wrong. Just as a simple observation, the electrical box should have been a waterproof box, with ALL cords coming up into it from the bottom side (this way rain will drip off without getting into the holes).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you are right shd as my family has been in the home building since the 1950's and you should also check to make sure it is not aluminum wiring it will melt and cause a fire .This was a home done job with older items used .Not sure how old your house is but be very careful

Ask a Question