Pond Equipment Frustration

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yep ...cutting the plug off the cord and hardwiring isnt the way to go. but you know you have easy access to install a outdoor box and gfci plug...thats most of the work right there.

Reaction score
thanks the current connection has been worrying me but I thought if the pump and filter worked I woulden't try to worry...(heh)

I would idealy like an outdoor plug set connected, is this generally the standard for ponds? Also the house is only 1990s!

Will this be a difficult task for someone to do? Or do you think will they just modify the exsisting wires to something more ideal.

Shdwdrgn I will just get the mesurements :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
showed my son who is a licensed electrician besides everything else he does and he says he would abandon that put in new around here he would charge around 275 but that depends what else he may see and thats with a dedicated circuit breaker with a gfci breaker with a built in surge protector and all new wires and and a protected outlet box with at least 4 outlets .In case you wanted to add outside lights or something else to your pond .I have 6 outlets just in case and a protected cover over the casing and wires are inside electrical conduit pipe with pipe clamps to hold it tight to the wall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
caulk and gaskets around all connectors also also you will need room in your circuit breaker box you could go with 20 amp breaker but would go for more like a 30 amp breaker .

Reaction score
Ok Rough messurment for the pond is

Length 9ft
Width 5ft
Depth 1ft

Photo
n4zc0n.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here is an idea for your Juniper. I did this to all mine and I have people stopping to look at them all the time.
BTW, please enter your location in the UserCP.

Attachments

• Jumbo Bansaii Juniper.jpg
    Jumbo Bansaii Juniper.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 251

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice pond and I like the edging around it but I love those blue pots you have nice bright splash of color

Reaction score
thanks, love what you done with the Juniper, my tree is a little out of hand at the moment :)

And yes, thank you Sissy! You've been a big help today, wish your son was in this country to help out. :)

Just currently looking at getting the electrics changed, You think the plugs can be retatched to the filter and pump easily?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
from what i can see of that plug it might just be that the lead has been pushed into that pipe and then goes into the garage as titan pumps dont come with a sealed plug on them here in the uk ,but you do need some kind of circuit breaker

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok thanks stroppy did not realize how different they do it there in the united kingdom as I know the electric over there as in other countries is done differently.I know how here but so much different there .Here most are plug ins and not hard wired so if any problems you just pull the plug but I do know here they are supposed to be on a dedicated circuit hard wired or plug in

Reaction score
ahhhh thanks, so the power outlet looks of norm for you? Besides needing a RCD safey plug thats would be in the garage socket.

Also If I purchased a new pump tommorow would it come with a plug, or would it be waiting to be wired into the electrics?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may need to ask about pump before you buy it if it's hard wired or plug .Most here tell you which they are as some states here do use hard wired for them .My cousin in Pennsylvania put his pond in over 2 years ago and codes said hard wired and when his old pump went out they said it needed to be plug in kind .He preferred plug in to start with but codes in the town where he lives are old and now finally they are updating them .Back then he could have a 4foot chain link fence around his yard with the pond and now they tell him it has to be 6 feet .They sent inspectors out to check for code enforcement on the whole town .No money but they try to raise your taxes this way .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
ferrara said:
Ok Rough messurment for the pond is
Length 9ft
Width 5ft
Depth 1ft

Wow, are you sure its only 1 foot deep? That's really shallow, I don't know how it would keep from freezing in the Winter.

Well, going by those dimensions, you are looking at around 330 gallons for your pond. Personally, I think your pump and filter are terribly under-rated for that size of pond, but I'm sure others will chime in. Koi will put out more waste than regular goldfish, and I'm a firm believer in over-filtration. I sized my biofilter to be about 10% the size of my pond. Of course you may not have the time to build a new pump and filter system, but I would keep it in mind as a long-term option because it will improve the health of your fish and require less maintenance.

I was out shopping today for weatherproof outlets, and I found some similar to this one. You can get single or double outlet boxes, and the cord runs out the bottom to keep water out. I had originally planned on cutting the plug on my pumps and direct-wiring them, but seeing this, I think I will leave the plugs intact so that I can move the water pumps if needed.
41e6sOicFzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ask a Question