pond filter

Reaction score
hi people,this is my first winter I have a pondoclear 4000 filter in all I want to know can I turn my pump of through the winter

Reaction score
Can you? Probably. I don't know anything about your pond or pump though so I can't really say. Many people who live in areas where the pond freezes over turn off their pumps but you should still plan to have a way to keep a hole open in the ice to allow for oxygen exchange.

Reaction score
Can you? Probably. I don't know anything about your pond or pump though so I can't really say. Many people who live in areas where the pond freezes over turn off their pumps but you should still plan to have a way to keep a hole open in the ice to allow for oxygen exchange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Terry heres a list of things you must do prior to winter to get all your fish though to next spring .
1) Reduce the number of leaves falling into the pond with a pond vac or remove them with a net..
2) Cut back dead or dying aquatic plant foliage during the fall.
3) Purchase a wheat germ-based pond food such as our favorite NTLabs Wheatgerm and Garlic to help protect against parasites .
4) Disconnect the pump, filter and UV-c before your ponds water freezes up.
5) Add a small heater to the pond to leace a fair sied air hole
6) Stop feeding at 10c till spring .
7) check the ponds water perameters during times of no ice and asertain if your fish are well .

I hope this helps you Terry .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They sit on the surface of the pond dp and supposedly keep an opening in the ice , personally I cant see that perhaps it keeps the ice thinner underneath it .
What ever you use Terry if you get a total freeze up use hot water to make a hole in the ice dont smash it as it creates shockwaves that would cause an already stessful situation for your fish to worsten and perhaps kill .

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I leave my submersible pump running all year long to my waterfall but then I live in a fairly mild climate where we don't get too much freezing. If you turn off your pump/filter clean it and leave it on the bottom of your pond to store it. Hope it is a submersible cuz you don't want to leave and external pump/filter running if you get freezing temps.
@callingcolleen1 lives in the deep freeze of Canada and runs her pumps all year long but she has a special way of doing so.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-pond-runs-all-winter-zone-2-3.10570/page-43

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, I do leave my pumps run all winter and always have. I just have underwater pumps and filters cause they do not freeze if they are under the water. Plus I run one heater during the extreme cold. I run three connecting ponds and they all flow together. I do not have a splashy water feature as they could really ice up bad and divert water away from pond. The three ponds are connected with little 4 inch water drops that keep all the three ponds connected.

You will have to tell me more about your pond and how cold does your weather get?

Reaction score
They sit on the surface of the pond dp and supposedly keep an opening in the ice , personally I cant see that perhaps it keeps the ice thinner underneath it .
What ever you use Terry if you get a total freeze up use hot water to make a hole in the ice dont smash it as it creates shockwaves that would cause an already stessful situation for your fish to worsten and perhaps kill .

Dave
They use balls in outdoor swimming pools to not have to drain it or keep it running. It allows for give in the ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They use balls in outdoor swimming pools to not have to drain it or keep it running. It allows for give in the ice.
Some people acctually do this same thing with koiponds covering them with ping pong balls , Val and I use polycarbonate roofing sheets which are double glazed and even at -10-15c we maintain a temperature of 7c .
Like Colleen our outlet for the pump is underwater with the pump itself along with our UV-C being lagged and under cover our filters have their own insulated housing and the housing is covered with policarbonate roofing sheets.

Dave

Reaction score
I don't cover the pond or use the balls. Putting the outlet facing the surface provides enough flow to keep the surface open. We get -20 here frequently and seldom use the heater. I keep it there just in case.

Gary Graham

Redballs
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard water
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this will be my 2nd winter, last year i tried an aqueriam heater in the main pond set at 28 degrees with the filter pump running all the time, i have 900 gallons in main pond although we don't get temps like you guy's we still get severe frost's that can leave the pond with about an inch or so of ice, and this worked well and also kept a large area clear of ice, trust this helps.

Ask a Question