pond filter

GLC

Reaction score
hi i am new 2 the forum and i was wondering if anybody could give me sum information on my pond filter i think its a nitritech 5000
it has 3 large bays vortex . I am trying 2 find out exactly what media i am surposed 2 have in it.
thanks in advance

Reaction score
I don't know this exact filter but given the term vortex and "large bays" I'd assume no media is to be used. A vortex is suppose remove heavy solids by water current. Media would stop that. Vortex filters were all the rage 10-15 years ago but not used much any more.

I may have heard of brushes being used in some vortex filters...but then these weren't really vortexes at all.

If you were looking to convert it a submerged media filter you could use any media you liked.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This one is a different brand then yours but looks like it's got media in there: http://www.koicarp.net/filtration/cloverleaf/cloverleaf.html

oh and
Welcome554.gif
GLC

GLC

Reaction score
thanks i have actually been looking at those clover leaf filters 2 day but i think thr all different as the first chamber on mine is like a whirl pool and then the second 1 always is the main 1 that gets the dirtiest and then the last chamber is whr the water starts 2 go back in 2 the pond but they all have a hole at the bottom of each chamber so nothing 2 small or loose can go in it or it will block the holes i purchased the filter with no media but at this moment i just have japmatting in the last 2 and nothing in the first 1 im trying 2 find out exactly what is surposed 2 be in each chamber 2 see if it helps at all

fishrich

Rich
Reaction score
Hi, I have this filter, which i have had now for 4 years installed. Nitritech 5000 three vortex. At the moment it is set up with brushes in the first chamber, the second one has a 4 inch thick original course foam circle which sits on that little ledge you see in the chamber, and the last chamber has plastic egg crate grid sitting on the ledge with a couple of media bags full of Alpha rock up to the water line. All the vortex's are clear as the media is held above them. The holes at the bottom have to be set up with outlet pipes and taps to drain off the waist. I do have a pre screen filter.
Im looking to change it slightly by removing the brushes and fitting the foam block from ch2 to ch one and them getting another foam mat or mats to go into 2.
I hope this is of help to you. Anythig more just ask.

fishrich

Rich
Reaction score
They are big, and when you wash them out you loose around 100 liters of water per chamber i would gess, may be more, i cannot remember how much they hold!! and i drain the waist out of mine quite regular

GLC

Reaction score
thanks for the info Rich i
appreciate

it, do you no if the company is still running or do you no where i could purchase a lid from ? and do you have the manual (any papers that cum with it for phone numbers and info and that )for it ,if you bought it brand new ,would also like 2 find out exactly how many liters it actually holds

GLC

Reaction score
Rich if you have the same filter you must have a big and deep pond like my self which is obviously why you have chose this filter 2 do the job, i was just wondering are you using a air pump ? if so how many liters should it be capable of doing .As i am currently looking 2 buy a air pump for my pond and when i look on ebay they say how many literes it is cable of doing but i have no idea how many literes my pond holds and the filter any help would be great thanks

Reaction score
im just a newbie but i installed a bio skippy filter and it has cleaned my pond better than i expected. and its virtually no maintenance. my water plants flurished and pretty much over run but i keep thinning them out and best of all , my fish are happy.

Reaction score
Hello i have a 5000 and here we have found the best way to set this filter up is leave the first chamber empty no media, the second put k1 media with a air ring in the bottom and the last one k1 static no air ring,they dont make these filters here any more was told the mold was sold to a company in the us.

Ask a Question