addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think they are going to go wherever is the easiest for them to get to. Now if you say that you have area's around you that they fish now and get good results then maybe they won't go near your pond or your deck area for fear of humans. I have that same area between my front porch deck and the pond and I still put the fence between the deck and the pond cuz I just don't trust those birds at all. I'm telling ya tho since I put that radio out on the front deck and have it set to come on and go off I haven't seen a heron stop by here in ages. Could be a combination of everything..........even the time I ran out in my robe w/ my hair flying behind me w/ a big broom raised up chasing him all the way off the property. My one cat helps too tho. She saw him and ran all the way around the house after him w/ her hair all poofed up yowling at him and tail flailing back and forth. She wanted to eat that bird up, lol!

roflmao!!!!!!!!! can just see that jw........you and your screaming cat chasing that poor little birdy

As a kid I used to live near a canal and up from that by my house was a swampy area and lots of snapping turtles and eels and people used to catch them to eat them .They would build a fire right there some of the times and hang the eel from a tree and skin it and cut it up put it on a stick and shove it into the fire and then eat it .Yukky to me .My neighbor here had a problem with the turtles since the creek runs right behind her house ,I have never seen a heron but we do get a few owls and buzzards doing fly by's .In the spring turkeys and the deer come up and drink from the pond ,ended up I bought them a water trough .Jw thought you only did that at halloween lol

she does it all the time sissy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, what a visual, JW! Such descriptive usage as well, we could all see that cat with puffy hair, yowling at that bird. Go cat! LOL
Not sure how good the fishing is in my farm pond. I'm only assuming that herons come here, although I've only seen them once. The cattails are so thick, you can't hardly see to the pond, except where I pull the primrose out. Cattails are almost all the way across the center of the pond, since it's pretty shallow, so I can't imagine that the herons has any problems fishing. I think they like the marshy areas, but maybe I'm wrong. I've seen them on logs, too.

Reaction score
Well I bought 3 solid yellow Koi last night at petco and now I hope my fish buying is over--at least for this year. I know they have said on here that yellow is the least stable color for Koi but I sure like the way they show up against the black pond liner. Hopefully I will get lucky and they will stay yellow as they grow--their 3 to 4 inches right now. I have seen some adult solid yellow butterfly koi on here and to me they are the most exotic looking of all of the koi Ive seen--just my opinion--and I know everybody has their own, lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't know I saw a black butterfly koi and it was quite impressive sheetmetalman .I saw it at a garden center pond here and it was something to see .It was not for sale but still nice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Did you think to take pics of your new koi, Sheetmetalman, before you put them in your pond? I learned that it's easiest to get a good pic while they are still in a clear bag of in a white bucket, while adjusting their water to your pond! Otherwise, we will wait for pics until they get accustomed and pose for you. Congrats!

Reaction score
Well the really hot weather has finally moved on so I'm back to work on expanding the Brick Patio larger for me and making it less "BORING & SQUARE LOOKING" for Anne. The excessive heat and dry weather has really done a number or the ground--its as hard as rock and really hard digging (if it had been this hard digging last spring we wouldnt have a 5000 gallon plus fish pond--it would probably be the size of my wheel barrow, lol) Anyway here are pics of the patio expansion project so far--it now stretches the length of both the fish pond and the waterfall hill (32 foot long) and its 25 foot wide at its widest point. I am almost finished with the treated wood framework and dirtwork. Tommorow (Sunday) I should finish all that and get the sand spread so I can start laying brick next week--I hope. Country your right I should have taken pics of the fish in a white bucket before placing them in the pond--that was a good Idea I just never thought of it--would have got back to you sooner but I've been putting in a lot of extra hours at work lately and havent felt like getting on here much--thanks again everybody for the nice comments and advice.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 287
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 312

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like that look a lot for your patio. Gives it character and much more room :highfive:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Looking great, Tim! No problem about not getting back! I knew about taking pics, but STILL forgot to do it when I got a few of my fish. I was so excited and anxious to get them into the pond, and being patient to acclimate them, totally forgot! Let me know when you get the patio done, I would love to come see it in person! And, if you need any more primrose, I'd be happy to bring you as much more as you might want, that is if it's something that you want to have. I'm still not sure I like it. Seems to look sad after a couple of weeks, but what I put on top of the waterfall filter, is blooming and looking beautiful! So, I keep moving it around, trying to figure out what it "likes" best. So far, it seems to be more still water, rather than the moving water, but not sure.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The stuff you sent me, country, I put at the end of the pond, still water, warmish, a little shallow, it is growing great, but has not started to bloom. I also put some around the edge of the pond, there is water movement, it is growing good too, but again no blooms yet. Sticking their little plant heads out of the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, understand that the stuff that is blooming in the filter container, was blooming when I put it there. :) I have the advantage of getting some fresh, but I decided maybe to leave what is in there, and see how it does, even though it looks sad in the pond. The roots are growing and spreading, and that is the most important part for filtration, so I guess that's a good thing, too. One set that has been in the pond since before I pulled yours and JW's out of the pond, just started to bloom, so yours will be soon, I'm sure. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine really looks nice and green and growing like crazy Country. No blooms yet but I like it even w/o the blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just read through this thread .... Very nice pond and landscaping. Your patio is going to look fabulous.

Ask a Question