Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks addy. My wife and I always remark how clear the pictures are every time we download the memory card.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Man, these Ruby Red minnows are prolific.
Even in 7C/44F water, I'm finding new fry.
2 scoops of my pool skimmer net brings up about 30 of them. I've put these in my aquaponics now for the winter.

IMG_0553.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cute lil suckers, mine don't do as well, maybe the dragon fly larvae eat them up.

I have had them in the pond for 3 years, hardly ever see one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've stopped counting, they have to be maintaining a population of at least 1000.
The backswimmers seem to get their fill plus the dragonfly larvae.
Maybe it's the colder weather and water temperature they like here.

Reaction score
Mitch Im sorry but Im not reading through all 44 pages LOL. How did the heater thing work?

One comment I did read was one along the lines that the US is too easy on gun control. I just wanted to say my personal opinion is that we have a ton of gun control laws, but not enough enforcement. People who legally own guns rarely use them in a crime :) Its the people with illegal guns that you have to worry about!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mitch Im sorry but Im not reading through all 44 pages LOL. How did the heater thing work?

One comment I did read was one along the lines that the US is too easy on gun control. I just wanted to say my personal opinion is that we have a ton of gun control laws, but not enough enforcement. People who legally own guns rarely use them in a crime :) Its the people with illegal guns that you have to worry about!

Yep, like addy said, everything lived. Both pond breathers worked for the 6 1/2 months of ice cover.
Coldest it got was -40 with a -57 windchill (If I remember correctly)
At the coldest temperatures with wind, the top of the breathers started to freeze up, but that didn't last long.
I put in 2 in case one failed. There's no replacing one once it's iced in.

As far as gun control..:)..Maybe I should clarify that - ACCESS to guns is a problem in both our countries, more so in your country than in mine though.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No.
But it's not about keeping a hole open in the ice, it's about exposing pond water to air for gas exchange.
The pond breather acts like your method of pointing a pump at the surface, except the breather does it through a heated tube using 1/10 the electricity your method does.
Those 1500 watt trough heaters only keep open a small hole and the water isn't moving around them.
Plus I tried a 1500 watt heater and it froze over in my climate.

Ask a Question