Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, it's chilly here, and going down to below 30F tonight. Brrrrr ..... I want to be where Mitch it right now, instead of in central Illinois. Geesh .... Two more mornings of upper 20's for lows (need that, because those peepers need to peer through the ice 2 more times!!!!) and then I hope that's it for anything that cold, even at night. We shall see ...
Mitch, your set up proves practice makes perfect. You have perfected your set up and moving onward and upward! Good deal. Been fun watching the transition.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
yes the winters here in Alberta can be very hard and brutal. This winter was a nice reprieve from the otherwise harsh cold winters we normally see. Over the past 24 years of wintering my ponds very successfully I have seen many long cold horrid winters of minus 40 and below! You need to be there all the time when pumps are running all winter and top up the ponds when needed as water can be displaced and turned into ice and strange things can sometimes happen. Running a big 1500 watt heater can raise your bill about 100 dollars a month, but very necessary for large koi. It makes very big different if you run and circulate the water in front of the heater, that way the ponds will not freeze as hard. I also unplug that thing when not needed. I do not use it unless it is below minus 10 or 15 degrees Celsius, and a lot depends on how long the cold period is, and if the ground is frozen very hard. In the fall the first month the ground is not frozen hard and it takes a while for the ponds to start to freeze hard. Last year the ground was frozen very hard for quite a long time, so when the temperature went down to just minus 5 or 10C, the ponds would refreeze very hard quickly cause the ground would act like a giant freezer,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Today is officially ice free day for the pond.(y)
Last year ice free day was April 29, so about 1 month earlier this year.
All fish are accounted for, including the 1000 minnows. I wonder how many minnows I'm going to wind up with at the end of this season.

Colleen, the breathers will work fine for large koi as well. Did you see the New Jersey pond that used breathers for his 20" koi?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey Mitch great news but.................do you know what day it is tomorrow? Hope you don't get fooled by old man weather :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If I sold these breathers, Colleen, you'd be my toughest customer!:LOL:

I think we can both agree that good gas exchange and water movement is important for overwintering ponds with fish.
Different methods will work depending on which climate the pond is in.:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today is officially ice free day for the pond.(y)
Last year ice free day was April 29, so about 1 month earlier this year.
All fish are accounted for, including the 1000 minnows. I wonder how many minnows I'm going to wind up with at the end of this season.
YEAH!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Funny, we in IL had another colder than normal winter, although not as much snow as last winter. You guys in Canada had a milder winter. How does that work out anyhow? Where did you used to live in Central IL, Rodsboys? You're right, though, I would not want to live anywhere colder than where I am now. I like having all 4 seasons, but not drastic for any of them. I think the weather here is perfect, although I don't care for 90+ degrees and high humidity when it hangs around for 3 months instead of 3 weeks. Hopefully this summer will be like last summer. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Here is a pic of a small group of the minnows, about 100 of them. There are lots more in other parts of the pond at various depths.
The minnow sizes range from 1 1 /2" to 1/4". I'm wondering what the story is behind those 1/4 inch fish. Did they survive the winter at 1/4", or did the minnows spawn while there was still ice cover?
Water Temperature is presently 44F.

IMG_0600.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good on all those fish making it through your rugged winter and I see your outside air temp is getting quite balmy now :)

Ask a Question