sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Covers are to protect the fish from anything that may fall in while rebuilding and the covers are on top and under for now as it is always windy here and things keep blowing in the pond .I think the biggest expense was the retaining wall block and the inside build up on the walls is concrete block .There are 2 walls to my pond an inside and an out side .I had to because of the slope from the sidewalk and wanted it as close to the covered front porch as I could get it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the dreaded lava rock in my filters with filter pads on top .The water goes down into the filter and a pipe connects to the tank adapter to take the water from the bottom of the filter .The green basket is to hold quilt batting to pick up any fine stuff .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the dreaded bog to filter my pond, others use a dreaded skippy, others use everything else under the sun. It all depends on what you want to build, what works for you. Also do you have koi or goldfish, the size of the pond, where you live. Lots of factors.

I used a liner for my big pond, preforms for the small loop of ponds. The liner was a whole lot easier than the preforms.

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Thanks Sissy & Addy. My pond will be a small one around 8X11 with waterfall. I would love to have at least 1 Koi and some goldfish but may have to settle for goldfish at that size. My backyard is not that big. We are going to wait till it cools a little before digging.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can get some very nice looking shubunkins, they have colors that (imho) rival a koi's colors and are easier to care for, more forgiving.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get some really pretty goldfish like fantails ,I call them little butt wigglers as they are little plump fish and mine love to swim into my hand to get a fishy message

Best thing about goldfish they are not as fussy about there water and are so much simpler to take care of ,wish someone had told me that oops posted one pic 2 times

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never have and they are 8 years old .My koi are 9 years old and little fantails were2 inches big when I got them at the koi farm .The one had some how gotten into the filter

tank and guy sold them both to me for 2 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy has more ponds than carter has liver pills :razz: Do they still say that anymore .Ponds ,bog waterfall and preforms .i started with a preform and what a waste of money that was .Not deep enough and hard to level and keep level

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy has more ponds than carter has liver pills :razz: Do they still say that anymore .Ponds ,bog waterfall and preforms .i started with a preform and what a waste of money that was .Not deep enough and hard to level and keep level

lol sissy! Honey counted them and stopped at 10, 4 ponds are in the stream, more if you count the small ones. I would not do another preform. hopefully the suckers stays level over winter, ow might toss and stick in a liner in the hole they leave...........

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Mine is a liner. Most of us on here have dug a hole and used a pond liner. I tried a preform first and it just wasn't doing it for me, so I tore it out and put in a liner. I have a SunTerra pump for my stream, and a TetraPond pump for my filter and waterfall. I started with a skippy filter, but I made a bog this year. I will never have any other filter but a bog from here on out. Much easier to do. Pretty much no maintainace.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my first one was preformed and every spring it needed releveled because it would heave a shift with freeze and thaw .I left it in for awhile after the new pond went in but it was a headache so out it came .I gave it away and have even rescued fish and took out a couple for realtors on foreclosed homes and gave them away .

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Just bought a cute Piggyback Turtle Pond Spitter on Ebay for my pond when it is built. There is a really cool site for carved stone garden decor. When you get on the site go to animals and click on "fish." These fish have human faces on them and are so cute. I want the "Fishset" with the mom, dad, and child fish.
www.carruthstudio.com

Ask a Question