Pond lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok so i took some pictures of my pond lights i made and the Camera on my phone does not do it justice! They are allot bright and can see all of the pond lit up at night! I bought 4 LED strips (24 LED's per strip) that are completely encased by some sort of rubber silicone material that is flexible. I then cut out (3) 2.75'' in diameter and .25'' thick Acrylic Disc and wrapped the Light Strips around them and mounted with epoxy for a 360degree light disc. The 4th light I mounted under the 2nd tier of the fountain that flows into the small pond, I will be putting another strip under the lip of the 1st tier on top of the fountain as well. These light strips can be found on Ebay for $5.99 Free Shipping, here are some pics.

Attachments

• pond 2.jpg
    pond 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 227
  • pond 1.jpg
    pond 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looks good. Are they meant for underwater use?
Yes, they say on ebay "fully submersible" up until they plug in to the black chord about 3 or 4 feet up then I just wrapped them in Electrical tape and keep the fitting out of the pond. The Chord length total is only 7-8ft which is the only downside if you have a large pond :lamp5: I originally mounted them outside the pond under the Drift wood pointing down to the water, but they only lit up about 2ft around the bottom of the pond and had a horrible glare off the top of the water, so i submersed them and they really make the pond Glow at night! :goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking good, Jason; I may have to try this. Looks like you get a lot more illumination than I would expect. I wonder if algae accumulation might mean you'll have to clean them off over some length of time. I know for my led spotlights, I needed to do this twice during the summer. Shouldn't be a problem pulling them up though, huh?

Michael

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks nice.
I have wanted to do something like this as well but i wonder, will it disturb the fish at night?

i have some real powerful led's on a timer, they shut off around 9ish. I have them come on before it is dark so the fish don't get startled by the sudden light. It does not appear to bother the fish, we actually watch them grooming the algae that tries to grow off the glass. The led's shut off the night vision on the camera so we can see the fish with colors rather than just gray ghosts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yeah They are easy to pull up since they just sit on a brick for now and speaking of Algae! I have seen my First Green Slime string of algae last night under the foutain, very small but there! I was beginning to wonder lol. Yeah the camera couldn't capture the pond illuminated but you can see EVERYWHERE except under the fountain where there is a shade/dark hole for them to hide in lol

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Nice work, Jason, I just spent 2 weeks down your way on Destin island, had I known I would have stopped by. Do you have a low-voltage transformer set up outside. If so, I'd be curious how you set it up. I need to punch a hole thru my siding and install a GFCI and transformer. I have the transformer, a Malibu, I think 100W, and I just need to get my butt in gear and do it, probably when weather warms up in spring.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice work, Jason, I just spent 2 weeks down your way on Destin island, had I known I would have stopped by. Do you have a low-voltage transformer set up outside. If so, I'd be curious how you set it up. I need to punch a hole thru my siding and install a GFCI and transformer. I have the transformer, a Malibu, I think 100W, and I just need to get my butt in gear and do it, probably when weather warms up in spring.

Dave
Oh cool, that's like 45 min from me! I have a GFI Outlet right behind the pond running to a cheap (But good) 6 outlet timer between the fence and back of the fountain. I have all my lights plugged into a Extension chord that has 2 outlets in 3 feet intervals for a total of 6 outlets, and I only plug them in when I am out feeding at night or just chillin or have guest over lol. The chord and light wires are ran under the Granite slabs around the pond and the slabs are tilted down so no run off goes into the pond and my Outlets on my ext chord don't get wet! I do have the previously mentioned rock lights plugged in the timer and used for Landscaping lights (After I sealed them again).

Ask a Question