Pond lights

Glitter

Glitter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what kind of submersible light I need? I have a channel about 3' wide and 11'
long. I want a single led ( I think ) that's bright enough to shine from one end to the other and I don't
understand the volt/watt stuff.

Thanks,
Glitter

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I don't know much about submersible lights as i don't have any, but im pretty sure you'll need more than one to light up the whole pond, just from my experience with led flashlights. My flashlights have 20-50 leds in them, and while they are bright, i still not sure one would light up my entire pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just make sure you don't get the cheapo ones as I got some from Lowes or H-depot and they lost the seal so have to keep them round the edge of the pond not in the water anymore.

Reaction score
I got mine from lowes. Here is a tip on that. Before putting them in the water, Take the lenses off and coat the ring with rtv!!! I used a lot for my three lights, but wanted a good seal. After the rtv, but them together and let them dry for a few days :)

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Don't go with halogen lights, they are junk. Most of the led lights are 12 leds to a single light. I have 12 underwater lights in my pond and it still has some dark spots. Most of the ones that I have seen in the stores have 3 lights on a string. I have some Sunterra lights and I have been happy with them. On my second year with them. They even made it thru the winter incased in ice.

Reaction score
I have halogens in my pond. They give of a lot of light but I find I have to replace the bulbs often. (once or twice a year) I've had it in the pond for a year now. It looked cool back lighting the ice in the winter

This is a single 20w halogen at the bottom of the pond. I plan to put the other 3 back in soon They all different colour lens on them. clear, red, blue and green.

One more thing. Don't buy cheap.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought some, not cheap, led lights, they do a great job lighting up the pond. On their second year, no issues. They are heavy duty stainless steel. Around 145 a piece, if you are interested I will find the web site for you. One would light up your pond just fine

Reaction score
I have LED's in mine and it's a string of 5 lights. Honestly it's not enough light and my next investment is going to be on some halogens. I used to have some Halogen lights and the lighting was amazing, but the seals went bad on them. I wish I could find another set that was more full proof. If anyone knows where to get them please chime in and let me know.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I decided to take all my in pond lights out and go for down LED lights as it makes for clearer viewing of the fish .You are not looking through that murky water at lights .They are the worst for leaking no matter how well you seal them and then they get covered in muck and you can hardly see the lights and was reading the difference between what they call hot lights and cool lights .Those hot ones like halogen and stuff can heat up your water faster ,great for winter but not summer .I also wonder how much they deplete the oxygen in the water .I went with led bulbs that shine down into the water and they work so much better and not the big expense of pond lights

18.88 for 3 bulbs at sams club and the light housing to screw them into I got at ollies 2 for 5 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plus mosquito's and some other bugs can't see LED 's You don't end up having bugs destroy your nice time at the pond .No giant moths either .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
by my pond tonight after the bad storm

Attachments

• waterfall 049.JPG
    waterfall 049.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 298
  • waterfall 050.JPG
    waterfall 050.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 318
Reaction score
Mine lights attract some bugs, but the goldfish and frogs love them. Midnight snack. With the lights you can even see the fish come up out of the water. Besides the lights are only on for a short period (3hours) they aren't going to raise the water temp that much.

Ask a Question