Pond Liner comparisons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm really being a pest with all the questions huh? Well here's a new one. I've seen two main types of liners, PVC and EPDM. I was wondering what most of you prefer to use. I've also seen differences in thickness from 20 mil to 60 mil, with prices that reflect that. I'm wondering what most of you personally use, and how long you've had them. I've found an 18'x20' PVC liner that's 20 mil thick for 100 bucks, and I have carpet to use as underlayment, just wondering if that would be thick enough to last at least 5 years.

Reaction score
45mil EPDM

Although a discussion recently popped up about something else that was really cheap and apparently really good. Something like BTL or PPP. I'm sure they will post it again. You can't go wrong with the EPDM though, it's the standard.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm really being a pest with all the questions huh?

GUITARMAN -- I've been a registered, card-carrying "pest" here for the past year. The more questions people like you and I ask, even if they're repeats and repeats of repeats, the more that people like you and I will learn :)

KEEP ON PESTERING!! ;)

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
[sup]I bought 20 mil HDPE liner from ebay, they says it not as flexible as the 20mil PVC or EPDM, but is more puncture and UV resistant, and has a 10 year warranty instead of 5 [/sup]

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
45mil EPDM

Although a discussion recently popped up about something else that was really cheap and apparently really good. Something like BTL or PPP. I'm sure they will post it again. You can't go wrong with the EPDM though, it's the standard.

Bend tarp and liner, ppl 24 or ppl 36. I have used both great tough liner. Lighter weight then epdm, i.e. pounds, not slippery when installed, easy to walk in the pond

Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed how treacherous last time I was in my pond before the fish went in. That miniscule bit of algae is like ice, almost fell every step.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For my deck pond I just bought a small epdm liner from lowes, on sale. That stuff is so slick, I stepped in it once almost did a header off the deck. Now just kneel on the edge and do the lean over move lol

The ppl has a rough texture, it does not even seem to let a lot of algae grow on it, I can easily walk on the liner. This is the third summer still not slick. My pond has a drop in it also, a good slope to the deep. no flat areas except the very deep end.

Reaction score
Does the PPL look like burlap covered in black plastic? I bought that at Home Depot for my waterfall pit. It seems fine, I prefer the smooth look of EPDM though for my main pond, but this stuff seems good.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used 45 epdm for my pond and creeks and 60 mil epdm for my bog. The 45 is more than adequate and I found the 60 more difficult to work with when it came to hiding the folds etc.

Reaction score
Yeah, the PPL stuff I bought for the waterfall was dirt cheap, I think I paid $20 for a 10x10. It seems kind of thin, so I bet folding and creasing it is really easy, I didn't do much of that in the waterfall. I just shoved it in the hole and put rocks on top to hold it, then filled it with pea gravel. It's got plants growing in it now, so any wrinkles I have are hidden.

I have two scraps left, one of PPL one of EPDM, both are about the same size, will probalby think of some use for each of them at some point. Would kind of like a spot to grow plants without any fish in the mix, but don't really want to start up a new project at this point. Need some time to wind down, I think my wife would appreciate me being INSIDE the house at some point this summer.

Ask a Question