Pond maintinance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my pond set up for a couple of weeks, just over a week with fish. I did my first 5/10 % water change yesterday, and cleared all the leaves from the top and bottom of my pond. The fish seemed to love it.
The water change was just a top up I seem to loose about this much water, I presume it's being absorbed by plants and the rocks on my water fall which is a decent run. My water fall has also developed a stringy algae, is this 'normal' I presume it's a good thing and will help filter the water.
Also how often should I clean my filter out.
Can anyone recommend a water test kit, I would very much like to start testing my water. I have done the basic ph tests but after reading this is not enough.
Many regards take it easy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
API makes a good test kit.

I pick the string algae off my water fall and give it a scrubbing with a stiff brush.

Keep an eye on your filter, but I wouldn't clean it too much, since your pond is new. You'll probably be able to see, when it needs cleaning, if you check it regularly.

I lose water in the summer, due to evaporation, especially when it's hot and dry. Make sure you're adding a de chlorinator if you have chlorine or chloramine in your water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have to concur with @Tula on this one my friend the API pond Master test kit is the best that you can buy , we ourselves have used it for many years now .
I do regular water changes once a month roughly 30-40% of the ponds water on each clean make sure you use dechlorinater when doing a water change or buy one of these to save on money over the liftime of each cartridge :-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=68

We use the same one on our tap water and is the cheapest way after buying to dechlorinate tap water eachset of three cartridges doing up to 10.000 or so imperial gallons , cartridges cost to replace around about £8.00uk.p/Manx.p

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks I forgot to mention that I add de chlorinate. I will sort out the water fall this weekend. And I will get that a test kit this week

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ditto @Tula and @Dave 54 Be sure to get the API kit that has the test for nitrate -- I think it's the Master Kit over here, but Dave says it's the Master Pond Kit in the UK. Just check the label. You want the one with nitrate instead of the one with phosphate.

@Hooded Ram Can you refresh our memories -- tell us again your pond size, etc., etc.

Edited 'cause I originally said "nitrite" when I meant to say "nitrate"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Ye no probs pond is approx 400 gal uk. My filter is a fish mate 10000, teamed with a 7000 lph pump. I have a decent sized water fall approx 20 feet. I have 6 fish all 3-6 inches and a decent amount of plant coverage.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
API makes a good test kit.

I pick the string algae off my water fall and give it a scrubbing with a stiff brush.

Keep an eye on your filter, but I wouldn't clean it too much, since your pond is new. You'll probably be able to see, when it needs cleaning, if you check it regularly.

I lose water in the summer, due to evaporation, especially when it's hot and dry. Make sure you're adding a de chlorinator if you have chlorine or chloramine in your water.
Is it normal to get string algae on my water fall. The pond itself is clear and I would like to keep that way

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is it normal to get string algae on my water fall.
My pond is in full sun and later in the season my water fall gets string algae. I leave it alone until it becomes unsightly and then I remove it by hand. I figure it is just one more plant in my pond. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I am love my new hobbie because there is always something to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Is it normal to get string algae on my water fall. The pond itself is clear and I would like to keep that way
My pond gets it occasionally, depending on water conditions, weather, amount of sunlight the pond gets, etc. If I keep ahead of it and scrub it off, it doesn't get bothersome. The pond is never 100% algae-free--a little bit is not harmful at all. I try to watch for patterns... This week we had very little rain, the water level was getting a little low, and the algae started blooming. In past weeks when we had a good downpour at least once a week, the algae stayed in check. Water chemistry.

If it gets really out of hand (like if I'm out of town for a lengthy period of time and my pond-watcher doesn't scrub out the algae), I use a few doses of an algaecide (TetraPond). If you use an algaecide, pay VERY close attention to dosage size, make sure the waterfall runs 24/7 according to the instructions, remove as much of the algae as you can by hand beforehand, and remove the dead algae once the chemicals do their job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sooo cleaning the string algae of my waterfall the day after leg day at the gym was not my greatest idea crouching was not easy haha. It's all done now and looks great. It made my pond slightly murky though but I am sure that will settle down by tomorrow. I have ordered my test kit as suggested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I clean my pond with a water vac, my wife bought from walkmart for 20 bucks. Does a pretty good job. Hook it to your hose and turn it on and it will suck all the gunk into a marine bag. The better term is a lift vac. Leaves will muck up a pond by turning it brown / red

Ask a Question