j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use a wide weave over mine and have it up high several feet w/a short wired fence below that I attach it to. Your pond is smaller so maybe you could make one that lifts off and on if you like.

IMG_8707.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Really don't want to build a frame.I just want to stretch it over the pond. I just need to devise a system to keep the net off the water. Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could make some holes in the ground around the pond to put poles in and out and attache the net to them. Lots here have different ideas that they can show you maybe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My net is hung 2-3 feet over the surface of the water, wide weave so little birds etc don't get trapped in it.

Reaction score
The closer to the pond you have it... the smaller your net openings will need to be. Herons will stab at the fish through any net. So even if they don't take the fish... they will be at risk.

Also take into consideration that a full size heron can be around 5 lbs. So once they start walking onto your tight weave net... it will be even closer to the water.

So if you have the net close to the water... it needs to be very taught.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You will need a frame, otherwise the net will just fall in to the water. The best way to make a frame is with PVC pipes. Cheap and easy to work with.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have bird netting over my pond. I wonder if any fish eating animals can get through big holes (such as the netting you have). On the other hand, I've had to rescue birds that somehow flew into the enclosure at least 5x. I don't know how they got in. And once I found a dead bird in the water. :-(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I removed the bird netting, used it one summer yanked and tossed, could not stand finding trapped and dead small birds. They find a way to get under the net.
And trapped frogs.

Use the wide weave hung high netting, no heron visits in years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What size net opening should i get? I need 7ft x 13ft. All i see is very large nets.

Ask a Question