Pond Overflow

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's becoming apparent that we need to install some kind of overflow protection on our pond. We've been getting a lot of rain, and I've been having to manually siphon out water to keep the skimmer functioning properly.

Can anybody tell me where to buy bulkhead fittings locally? Lowe's and Home Depot do not carry them. What kind of store would sell them, or is there some kind of substitute? I'd like to plumb it into the back of my skimmer, but it would be great if I could do it and not have to wait for parts in the mail. I thought I read something about a "uniseal" that can take the place of a bulkhead fitting since it does not have to be 100% water tight. Anybody?

Thanks!

Sandy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tractor supply and some pet stores and plumbing supply stores I used a shower drain as an over flow

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
A male and female PVC electrical conduit works if you cut a rubber washer or 2 from a bit of scrap liner. Do not use PVC plumbing pipe because it may not screw all the way together.

bulkhead.jpg

I cut the washers above with a scrap book machine but you can do them by hand. Waterbug suggested using curved scissors, regular ones work too. Try to make the inside hole smooth as the sealing surface is small. The one drawback but since you said it did not have to be 100% water tight there should be no problem.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
HTH said:
A male and female PVC electrical conduit works if you cut a rubber washer or 2 from a bit of scrap liner. Do not use PVC plumbing pipe because it may not screw all the way together.

attachicon.gif
bulkhead.jpg

I cut the washers above with a scrap book machine but you can do them by hand. Waterbug suggested using curved scissors, regular ones work too. Try to make the inside hole smooth as the sealing surface is small. The one drawback but since you said it did not have to be 100% water tight there should be no problem.
Made my overflow last weekend. Thanks, HTH, for the tip on the PVC versus conduit. You were right, the PVC did not tighten down all the way when I checked it at the store. The conduit worked great! I made washers out of scrap liner. Worked like a charm. Dug a dry well and filled with cobblestone, plumbed the line at a slight angle to allow flow. Good to go! One less thing to worry about. I was having to go out and manually siphon water out after a heavy rain because the water would get up past the skimmer and not skim all the leaves and gunk off the surface.

Now if I could just figure out my algae problem......

Thanks again,

Sandy

Ask a Question