Pond overflow

Reaction score
You mean unintentionally? I think there is only 1 solution, add dirt under the liner wherever you see moisture. I keep 1 spot a tiny bit low though so if I want to add a bunch of water the extra drains right there which goes into a pipe and away from the pond. If it drains out in other places it just makes the yard soggy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What is the best way to deal with a pond overflowing?
are you talking about after a heavy rain ,I have a pipe stuck between my liner in a corner with a grate on it that faces the inside of the pond and this way it only allows the water to get so high and the drains out and one the out side of it a small catch basin just in case anything may get washed out .The drain grate is just ones they use in yard or patios and is sold where they sell ditch pipe and other things to deter standing water .It comes in green and black and has corrugated pipe to connect it to the outside of the pond and catch basin ..My pond is mostly above ground and has a concrete block wall around and then stone and out side that retaining wall block .So it drains pretty good with out much over flow

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one edge low, it drains onto some gravel then runs to the back yard. It only drains when we get a lot of rain.

Reaction score
Sissy post a picture of your grill in the overflow area, I just did the low spot like Addy, but I'd like to see how it looks with the pipe. The way mine works is the water goes over the liner to a spot under my deck, the water collects in a small hole I dug and that hole has a pipe in it that then let's most of the water flow about 30' away. The water that doesn't make it into the pipe just soaks into the ground. I'm sure it's fine, but I would rather get 100% of the water as far away as I can, I just can't figure out a good tight way to attach a drain.

Reaction score
buck could you have done this?

drain1.jpg

Reaction score
It's under my deck, I definitely have room, just no room to move the shovel. Digging the hole deeper to accommodate something like that will be torture.

Reaction score
Yeah, last time I went under there I took a mini shovel, something 3' long, but I think if I do any more work down there the trowel will be the tool I take. The dogs love it down there, I need to trick them into digging the whole for me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[quote name='don't ask' timestamp='1340394297' post='125944']
buck could you have done this?

drain1.jpg

[/quote]

That would work great for our overflow, but I like the way it waters things on the way down the hill, far away from the house.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My pond has a low a spot that drains into the flowers that are planted around the pond. The pond water is about 4" higher than the surrounding ground so as it drains it does now back wash into the pond. The plants growing there are about twice as big as the same plants planted on the other side of the pond. I never get enough rain to over flow the pond (haven't in the year I've had the pond at least) but I do let it overflow a bit when I add water. But I lowered my wood deck this year so it's base is level with the water level. Now if it there is enough water that my low spot can't drain fast enough it overflows under my wood deck onto my dirt patio. I plan on putting pavers down one day though so it will drain into the pavers with the a sand and gravel base so it should not be an issue.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Mine didn't have a overflow and the lowest point in my pond was so high that it would cover the skimmer box opening completely. I cut in a small overflow pipe last weekend and was able to test it out that same night when we got almost a inch of rain. I just put a slit in the liner with a box cutter and poked a 1/2" pipe thru and sealed it Gold Label sealant. Covered the end of the pipe with sealant too so you can't see the pipe.

Ask a Question