Pond Pics from NC

Reaction score
My pond is surrounded by woods made up mostly of pine.

The filter is a temporary solution as is the hose laying at the bottom of the waterfall. I needed the extra flow through my super filter to speed the process of cleaning. 2 more weeks I guess and the Koi will stirr up the last of the scum on the bottom and I can then rely on the Lowes bio filter system to maintain. The rocks strewn all about are supposed to be in the pond near the waterfall but searching for leaks required their removal.

Lessons learned over the years with this pond. If you decide to put sand in your pond on top of the liner make sure it is not clay bearing sand :LOL: Years ago I put the sand in and it turned the pond into a milk shake for weeks. This year I decided to remove about a foot of sand and I turned it into a milkshake again. My fish are apparently a hearty lot because through all the abuse I have put them through they have survived.

During my 5 year fallow period parrot feather covered the entire pond and it looked like I could walk across the surface of the pond. I pulled all of it out and found a gold fish on the 400 pound pile of weeds. I tossed him back in. to my surprise there were two gold fish living in the pine thatch, parrot feather, and gook filled pond.

Second lesson it is easier to maintain a pond than to return it from nature.

it is a work in progress.

Interesting nature show note. I was very surprised to see how interested my resident fish were in the new ones I bought this year. I introduce them in the bags and the resident fish came up to the bags as if to call their new friends out to play.

I guess after several years of dodging the Blue herron the two surviving fish were glad to see someone else. They were like an old married gay couple stuck in a remote cabin childless and apathetic.

Attachments

• 2012-06-01_06-20-37_6.jpg
    2012-06-01_06-20-37_6.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 238
  • filter 50%.jpg
    filter 50%.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
here is what the pond looked like at it's peak.

Attachments

• the%20pond080900.jpg
    the%20pond080900.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 190
  • jen080900footnibble.jpg
    jen080900footnibble.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 205

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice looking pond and like the spraying fountain! Cute photo of the girl getting a foot manicure from the fishies :razz:

Reaction score
sorry just noticed that I just uploaded the thumbnails.

Attachments

• jen080900footnibble.jpg
    jen080900footnibble.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 264
  • the%20pond080900.jpg
    the%20pond080900.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 178

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone