Pond pump shut off over night!

Reaction score
Last night my husband and I were trying to figure out why the electric bill jumped $90 last month. Some of it is due to fans, dehumidifier, and air conditioner as well as having extra company but we were wondering about the pond pump. So he was watching the meter while I unplugged and plugged back in the pond pump. The pump is a Sunterra 4300 gallon. Is there a way to figure out the cost of running it? Yeah, it was my own fault, I plugged the pump into the timer slot for the lights and the lights to run all night! Duh! Now, is the bacteria in the pressurized filter done for? Does this mean I start all over for bacteria? Hope not because I have the rest of this month and the month of August before frost comes so I don't believe there'll be enough time to restart the bacteria.

Reaction score
Last night my husband and I were trying to figure out why the electric bill jumped $90 last month. Some of it is due to fans, dehumidifier, and air conditioner as well as having extra company but we were wondering about the pond pump. So he was watching the meter while I unplugged and plugged back in the pond pump. The pump is a Sunterra 4300 gallon. Is there a way to figure out the cost of running it? Yeah, it was my own fault, I plugged the pump into the timer slot for the lights and the lights to run all night! Duh! Now, is the bacteria in the pressurized filter done for? Does this mean I start all over for bacteria? Hope not because I have the rest of this month and the month of August before frost comes so I don't believe there'll be enough time to restart the bacteria.

Reaction score
I think you convert the amperage of the pump into watts, and then to kilowatt hours. Find out what your charged per kilowatt hour and then you have it. I guess it depends on how long there is no circulation going through your filter as to how long the bacteria will last.

Reaction score
I think you convert the amperage of the pump into watts, and then to kilowatt hours. Find out what your charged per kilowatt hour and then you have it. I guess it depends on how long there is no circulation going through your filter as to how long the bacteria will last.

Reaction score
During a filter retrofit I did I had my pads out for that long, some even dried up and I didn't notice a difference in the water. You gotta remember you have good bacteria in the pond itself as well so I don't think it will take long to reestablish in the filter.

Reaction score
During a filter retrofit I did I had my pads out for that long, some even dried up and I didn't notice a difference in the water. You gotta remember you have good bacteria in the pond itself as well so I don't think it will take long to reestablish in the filter.

Reaction score
1000 watts is a kilowatt. So if you are using 841 watts each hour and the pump is running 24 hours than you are using 20184 watts in a 24 hour period. Dived by 1000 you are using 20.184 kilowatts in 24 hours. In Arizona I think I am charged 11cents a kwh so that would be $2.22 a day. It has been a bit since I played with this stuff so I could be rusty......

Ask a Question