Pond Safe Paints....

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a wooden planter box 18" x 18" x 4' that I want to place on the far end of my 4000 gallon rectangle koi pond. I have a separate submersible pump that I have attached to a side skimmer filter in my pond. The pump is attached to the bottom of the filter and the outgoing water just goes directly into pond (this is aside from the Aqua Ultima II 6000 biomechanical filter attached to my Asagi Sequence pump)...

I was planning to use liner to line the inside of this box but was thinking maybe I'd use a pond safe paint/epoxy inside the planter box instead.

What I wanted to do was set the box on the far end of the pond.. have outgoing from the submersible go to the planter box and overflow "decoratively" back into the pond. I wanted to put water plants in this box.... perhaps the turtles my kids have (they are small turtles.. I don't want the turtles in the pond.)

Does anyone know of an easy to come by (Home Depot/Lowes), relatively inexpensive but SAFE pond paint to use? Any recommendations? Suggestions? Past experiences. I'm still not ruling out using a pond liner, but a pond safe paint would be ideal.

Thank!
jagan314

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do a quick net search for fish safe paints, that would lead you in the right direction

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Hi Addy1,

I didn't know what a kubota was until I saw the pictures.. AWESOME.. and love that your husband bought you a tractor.. lolz. You look like you know how to use it too! And what a great project! 9000 gallons.. WOW! I would LOVE that.

I've done some research on the internet, but wanted to see if anyone else had experience with the stuff or had a preference on what to use. I saw one site that sold a gallon for almost $500. (too expensive for me.) '

There seem to be alot of products on the market... but the toxicity is questionable. I'm very careful about what goes INTO my koi pond.. (my kids lily goldfish pond was my learner pond, and boy did I learn.. lolz.)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi jagan, no clue on the paints, I recall looking into them, but don't remember what I found out. lol I just used the good old black liner. You may want to use the liner and get the rock on a roll to make the part you see look like brown or gray rocks. Then you would not need to worry about the type of paint. Once you have plants etc in it you won't even see the paint you worried about lol.

just the top that is out of the water.

Yeah my new honey decided after working 2 jobs for years, I needed to have something to do, little did he know I would tear up the whole yard! lmao.

Retire early, but not sitting on couch retired lol

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
This is suppose to be one of the best paint on products that is fish safe on the market. NOT cheap, About $200 a gallon. But you can contact Rick directly and talk with him. He has been selling this product for some time but has just recently been working with some Koi groups to test this product for pond use. I'f I was going to try a paint on product this would be my first choise.
http://www.rubberizeit.com/

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
taherrmann4 said:

That is a cool product! I used it for coating wiring when working offshore. Also great for coating tools that the handles need a rubber coating suck as pliers, wrenches etc. Problem though is CRC is a petroleum based company. I would be nervous using a CRC product on a pond. But I will say, CRC as a whole has same VERY good products!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
CRC makes some of the best products I have ever seen, used, or tested since 1979 when I first did a research and development experiment using it's competitive products.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
This all sounds great.. but I'm concerned with what fishin4cars just said.. the petroleum based products sound toxic. I'd have to do more research.. but I think you all get what I'm trying to do. I just need the product to be Fish Safe or potable and non toxic. I want to coat the inside of a wooden planter box.
Thanks all!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How big is the box? another idea is to fiberglass the inside, This might be one of the cheaper routes to think about. The CRC coating might be ok but I would for sure contact CRC and see what they say. I can say It's going to take several cans to cover much area for what your trying to use it for.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
fishin4cars... the planter box is about 15" wide x 12"deep x 4ft. long.. I just want to waterproof the inside.. I would definitely contact CRC.. I don't want to chance poisoning my koi. Not good. My back up is doing a liner.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Find a roofing company that does commercial roofs. They use EPDM on a lot of them and always have scraps.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Thank you everyone... I'm new, so I'm still learning the "ettiquette" here.. I've just noticed the THANKs button.. duh. So please be patient.

I've finished my little project using this old planter box. I like how that wood has aged so I'm not going to paint it or anything and hope that trim of wood I used ages to a grey brown as well (though I know their two different types of wood.)

I ended up using liner I picked up at Home Depot $29, and also a silicone used for all sorts of material, fabric and plastics/rubber included... (Liquid Nails).... they have different kinds for different purposes.. but it dries like that silicone aquarium stuff you use, but stronger... Attached are pictures so you can see how I used it..

I wanted to fill it with water clarifying plants just as an added bio filter of sorts... It's attached to my submersible pump that is attached to the skim filter along the side of the pond.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.. I've also gotten a tip on how to weather the water hyacinth by taking a number of clumps INDOORS during our winter season. During that season, the coconut husk planted louisiana iris should grow to take over.. I may also use hornwort when the hyacinth dies back during the winter. (Our winters are short in San Diego, but can get down pretty cold, for Southern California). We're whimps here, when I say cold I mean in the 50s. lolz.

I'll attach pictures.. otherwise they'll be in my album.. I'm still learning how to use this site. Thanks again for the suggestions! I'm enjoying perusing the threads and seeing everyones beautiful ponds... The red water lily was this years bloom from my kids 400gal lionhead goldfish pond (I'm currently having trouble with the fish in there.. I'll mention it in another thread.)

Attachments

• IMAG2214.jpg
    IMAG2214.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 787
  • IMAG2215.jpg
    IMAG2215.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 672
  • IMAG2216.jpg
    IMAG2216.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 745
  • 280301_10150716310810065_62.jpg
    280301_10150716310810065_62.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 804
  • 280867_10150716310355065_62.jpg
    280867_10150716310355065_62.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 642

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice clear water, beautiful lily, it is looking great! And very pretty fish

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I can see the female you got from me in the last photo. Is that the male next to her? Looks like she is happy.

Ask a Question